OK newbie question here, 60 under and unibody?

That's a bit more than the magazines all said they would go for. :(

They are probably ion backorder because other companies are snatching them up to resell. Oh well.

If you can still find the old part numbers... P5153825 & P5153526 ... you can probably still get them at the prices you are seeing and they should still come complete with the brakes on them. I know a lot of places were selling the old part numbers for around $1400 for the rear & $1600 for the front +/-.

And yes...the JK D44 is still a DANA axle :thumbsup:

Personally I wouldn't go past 33s on a plain-jane Dana 30 (with 297s) and wouldn't go past 35s on a bliinged-out Dana 30. No matter what you do to the rest of the axle, you still have the small gearset at its heart. Just go find some 70s era 3/4 ton Ford axles (44 front and 60 rear) and go nuts with them. Invest your money into something worth while. :thumbsup:

I would. It's just easier to match the Ford front with the Dana 60. Plus you'll never ever have to worry about breaking that 60. Be prepared that it's not as light as the 8.8 and moving it around can be rough.

Or you can try and find a 77 and earlier Ford truck Dana 44 front end (the ones where the radius arm mounts are welded on, not integral like 78-79) and match that with a 9" rear. They'll still take the punishment and be a bit lighter.

Or build up a 78-79 using the radius arms like I did. :D

See don't you love it when you build everything up to damn near where you be wanting to go then to get a new set of tires and have to start all over again with the axles, but I'm not dropping tire size, so off to look for a 6o's or 60/14 set up or something. Go big or go home is what I like to say! :yes:

found that article of a rubi 44 in an mj I was reading...

http://www.off-roadweb.com/tech/0702or_ ... index.html

In my opinion that is definitely NOT worth the effort. They used a TJ Rubicon D44. I consider it a downgrade - low pinion, rides on the coast side of the ring gear, and the same D30 outers. You end up with the same weak link, the 760x u-joints.

Willy