Swap XJ 2.8 into 2.5 MJ?

In its current form my 88 maxes out at about 55. Maybe 65 if I'm going downhill and tailgating a semi. What's your point? :D

It's hyperbole man. All I was saying is that he probably shouldn't be mad at the XJ for giving poor fuel mileage at 80 mph. :smart:

In its current form my 88 maxes out at about 55. Maybe 65 if I'm going downhill and tailgating a semi. What's your point? :D

It's hyperbole man. All I was saying is that he probably shouldn't be mad at the XJ for giving poor fuel mileage at 80 mph. :smart:

I don't blame the truck any means whatsoever, sadly to keep up with traffic in some parts of the 407ETR, on the 401 near Quebec border where the 18wheelers will run you over if you are in their way, you got to go that fast... I just would prefer a more matched engine for my driving styles and routes something that has more bang for buck.

The XJ I use as a DD right now loves to go fast, stays around 2200-2600rpms, even with a heavy duty 50mph bumper and winch on front and Surco rack with lights and 31" tire on top.... hell my 1990 4banger Tempo loved it at 160kmph... so there has to be something cheap and fast for an engine swap.

(there is no he)

Yes boys, there is a lady in the house. Mind your manners :chillin:

Jen, the 89's driveshaft *should* fit when you stick an AW4/242 in there. Don't quote me. The '86's stock shafts will be WAY too long.

And JeepCo is bang on with the crossmember fab bit. Car Ramrod did the swap, a bit of information could possibly be pryed from him.

And JeepCo is bang on with the crossmember fab bit. Car Ramrod did the swap, a bit of information could possibly be pryed from him.

What kind of jeeper would I be if I didn't help?

I'll hop on my desktop pc tomorrow and see what I have for pics.

Edit: I'm not sure if you can view my photobucket through this link, but if you can, feel free to dig through my jeep pictures.

ok so a 4.0 out of an 89 MJ will do the trick? what if it is 2wd?

I just located one that has a D44 3.07 and black interior and he wants 400$ cdn...

You said you can't drive a standard. If it has 3.07 gears, it's a 5-speed. What you're looking for is an XJ with a 4.0L and the AW4 automatic. That's a 4-speed automatic -- 3 speeds plus overdrive.

Although the Dana 44 axle would be good to have. But you'll still be looking for a tranny.

all the crap u are going to do doesn't make sense to me. i can get axles regeared for 300 an axle. i run a 2.5 with a 4 speed on 31's 24 mpg and it will run 90 mph with no problems. as far as not being able to drive a stick, just practice. worse u will do is burn up a clutch

Although the Dana 44 axle would be good to have. But you'll still be looking for a tranny.

I have an AW-4 lying around to fit to a 4.0l... and a D44 3.55 ready for the 86....

the possible 3.07 would make good ROE since people like perchless axles... the last 3.07 was a easy sell.

all the crap u are going to do doesn't make sense to me. i can get axles regeared for 300 an axle. i run a 2.5 with a 4 speed on 31's 24 mpg and it will run 90 mph with no problems. as far as not being able to drive a stick, just practice. worse u will do is burn up a clutch

I got quoted up to 1000$ per axle... too bad you aren't close by. What gear are you running on your 2.5 4spd?