Fuel sending unit question

Hello :wall: everyone I was happy to find this site while looking for info on a "87" Comanche that i just picked up .I also own a "96" Cherokee ,my question is will a fuel sending unit from a XJ work in the MJ I know the fuel pump is supposed to be the same,Thanks for any info

In my observations from about a month ago. NO they will not work. The Comanche holding unit, less the pump (as the pumps are the same) is longer in length and in drop inside the tank of a short bed. Not sure about longbed. Anyone? Therefore the fuel level reading will be erroneous. You'll have to drop the tank too. I had to, but maybe someone here will chime in and tell you a trick on how to replace the unit without dropping it. I released the filler at the door, then the 2 straps and then the 2 small hose connections on top of the tank, drop the drive shaft at the dif and make sure you mark the driveshaft. I also suggest sanding, priming, and painting your old tank before remounting. Drain all the gas as much as possible as it's a little more of a fight with gas inside. Check you wiring and resecure it well. Replace the screen at the pump (4-4.50 at Advance Auto) I bought my new pump off Ebay for 55.00. Wear some goggles and use your safety jacks. The fuel filter is inline along the inside DS frame rail, may or may not need replacement depending on age of filter and condition of tank upon removal and inspection. Not a fun one but doable. One I would say if it aint broke don't fix it though.

The Comanche holding unit, less the pump (as the pumps are the same) is longer in length and in drop inside the tank of a short bed. Not sure about longbed. Anyone?

I'm running a H.O. longbed unit in my Renix shortbed now. It works fine, but the bottom of the unit does not fit into the "cup" inside the tank as securely as the shortbed assembly. Can't comment on the fuel gauge inaccuracy in my case because of the reversed polarity (H.O vs. Renix)......other than the fact that my gauge is backwards. Just have to remember that when the gauge is getting close to full, it's time for me to fill up :rotfl2:

Jeff

If You have a Long Box (7 foot box) with the 18 Gallon Tank then it should be the same, If you have a Short Box then it is different... I Bought a New Pump/Sender that was for a Cherokee and I had to Cut/twist and add tubing to make a New one work in my Short box 18 gallon tank MJ it was a pain to do but Now I have a Brand new Sender/Pump that I will not have to mess with for the Next 20 Years...

Cherokee and Comanche units are mirror image of each other. A Cherokee unit will not fit in a stock Comanche tank because it interferes with the edge of the "pan" inside the tank. It might work in an after market tank without the pan.

The unit on my original 87 lwb 23.5 gallon tank had a longer arm on the float than a swb 2.5 from the junk yard, but they both fit the same and show the same fuel level.

Also, on neither of these two trucks did the drive shaft or tank have to be removed to remove the sender unit. It will be a bit easier with the drive shaft out of the way, though.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions everyone ,but today I got got lucky at a junk yard and found a complete fuel tank with a good sendind unit and pump with filler neck and it only cost me $50.00 so I can see if my Comanche runs :clapping:

Hello everyone here is an update about my sending unit problem ,today I installed the new used tank assembly and once i got all of the vacum line hooked up correctly the motor fired up and ran pretty good now I can start on the conversion to 4 wheel drive and not worry about swapping the motor , Thanks again for your help :cheers: