update on my obsession... lots of pics

well, here's my MJ in the garage, took off the doors, since I pillaged replacements that were rust free from a 94 Cherokee 4 door

Image Not Found

it was much easier to gut the interior with the doors off, so i did so..

Image Not Found

the cab had somewhat of a smell.. the carpet was stained and actually still moist.. the prior owner left tons of empty or nearly empty beer bottles and cans in there... which I'm sure some soaked into the carpet.. sun baked and moist beer doesn't smell good at all.. so I took out the carpet too...

Image Not Found

unfortunately there was rust.. lucky for me it was just on the surface.. i broke out the wire wheel and stripped it all off, resealed and painted it to match.. looks all new now.. on the inside at least...

Image Not Found

got all my wires run for the new clean sounding system... hooked up the amps and such.. I used to own a stereo shop so I had to take the opportunity to put in a clean system.. I'm still building a sub box...

Image Not Found

I'll have more to come this weekend, since I got the new chrome grill, new deck put in, and new carpet kit for the interior. Enjoy or poke fun... it's all good... it's an MJ!!! :)

can you explain the stereo hookup for us old guys.

I take it, one is a 200W amplifier, what is the other component.

and, what is that little clear box in between.

I may be old(er) but, appreciate my music.

I'm interested to see how you make the Subwoofer.

...BOB

Looks like a second amp. 1 for the sub, 1 for the rest, I imagine. That's what I did at least (back when the 88 was 2wd and a daily driver). The clear thingy is a power distribution block to split it to the amps.

Keep an eye on any rust you find and try to find out where the moisture came from. The rust has a tendency to come back with a vengence.

Jeep on!

--Pete

as for the amps, the grey one is a Planet Audio 2x100 amp for the sub. I have always used high quality subs so I have an Infinity Kappa Perfect 10 which can handle up to 1200 watts. I used to run 4 of them in my competition car back in the day. You can imagine how much thump that makes. The Black with silver amp is a Pioneer 4x75 amp for the seperates. I replced all the speakers with Pioneer coaxial speakers, they all have passive crossovers with small dome tweeters in the center, helps with the quality sound. The deck is a Panasonic with 3 channel output (front,rear, and sub) also has a deck controlled sub pre-out (very handy feature) also has deck controlled high and low pass filters to help fine tune the output frequencies. The deck cost me a whopping $99, the 4channel amp was only $129 and I already had the 2 channel amp. It's not hard to find great deals on stereo equipment for very little $$ when you know what to look for :)

The little clear bok in the middle is a power distribution box. I have a power line with a 100amp fuse coming from the battery to that small box. The little box splits the power to each amp and I have a 60 amp fuse for the 4 channel and a 30 amp fuse for the 2 channel... it's always safe to have your power lines fused properly, since all it takes is 1 bad short and you'll blow or fry a good system.

I had a sub box from my prior system, but it was too deep and wouldn't let me slide my seat all the way back so I am building a new one and stuffing it. Stuffing a box with filler is a trick that allows you to build a sub enclosure smaller, but still get the same snap and frequency response as if it were built to manufacturer specs. In my case, the Perfect 10 subs requre 1 cubic foot of airspace, but when you stuff the box, you can get away with it being 40% smaller, so I have a stuffed .6 cubic foot box which fits perfectly behind the seat and lets me slide back without problems now. I'll post pics of it all by this weekend. :)

Out of curiousity, when you list the amp as being a 75x4, are you refering to Max watts or RMS? I assume RMS and the 1200 number for the sub was Max, but with no labels it's hard to tell sometimes.

Jeep on!

--Pete

the sub is 1200 max watts, but I wouldn't reccomend pumping that much juice into one.. 4x75 is RMS... if you really want to suck some power out of the 4 channel you can hook up 2 speakers to each channel, push it to 2 ohms resistance and get 150watts x4... which is why the amp says it's a 600 watt rating, but I also wouldn't recommend that either, since most seperates that you put in doors and quarter panels are only stable at 4 ohms anyways.. the voice coils would likely melt in a relative short time.

I had a 4x75 rms and a 150x1 rms in the MJ in years past. The amps have migrated over to the Dakota R/T, but the door speakers are still in the MJ (didn't fit the Dak). I cut a hole for the tweeter to set it flush in the door. To this day, that truck had one of the best sound I've ever heard in a automobile. Symphonic and live tracks felt like you were there. :D High quality componants (and the power to drive them) are worth every penny in my book. Since the wind noise on the highway can overwhelm my current reciever-driven system, I think I'll put a small amp back in the MJ to help out. Although the ambiance of my truck can be strangely appealing. I drove 3000 miles to Moab and back this summer and only listened to about 3 hours of music total. :D

Jeep on!

--Pete

• 1 month later...