web sites for info on spec's

Just woundering if anyone knows of web sites that I can get specs off of for MJ's and Xj's with the ser#? I was going to buy a mj yesterday and was a day late the local junker picked it up for a $100. :mad: I saw the truck at the junk yard. not in bad shape, it has a d44 in the back and some rust on the box but all and all in good shape. :mad: :fs1: :mad: :headpop: :mad: the owner has all ready started to take it apart. I am working for the next few days and was hoping I can run the ser# and find out what gears are in it before it is totaly striped and scaterd all over his yard and then crushed.

I also found a 2wd at another yard that is hafe striped and would like to see what it has as the place was closed but I could call and get the ser# and run it.

I have bought an Eliminator black 91 4wd that needs a rocker it is a short box and was a one owner. :banana: I would like to find info on this as well.

Thanks for any help.

I filled out this form on the jeep website a year or so back. I put in the comments section of the form that i wanted the build sheet for the VIN and inside a week I received a return email.

If the link doesn't work, go to the jeep website, then click contact us at the bottom. Then click the I need CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE.. On that page there is a Send us an Email Link which leads to the form.

EDIT: you can also try calling your local Jeep dealership.

Gears are usually dependent on engine and trans.

rules of thumb:

4.0 + auto = 3.55

4.0 + manual = 3.07

2.5 + 4sp manual = 3.55

2.5 + 5sp manual = 4.10

2.5 + auto = 4.56

any MJ from 86 will need a personal inspection to know for sure.

Online VIN/SER info on our 20 year old Jeeps can be sketchy at best.

Gears are usually dependent on engine and trans.

rules of thumb:

4.0 + auto = 3.55

4.0 + manual = 3.07

2.5 + 4sp manual = 3.55

2.5 + 5sp manual = 4.10

2.5 + auto = 4.56

any MJ from 86 will need a personal inspection to know for sure.

Online VIN/SER info on our 20 year old Jeeps can be sketchy at best.

OF COURSE....I ALWAYS have to get the odd truck (or vehicle) that not too many ppl know about...(had a hearse for a while....finding parts was a BIOTCH)

I did find this but not all that detaled

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks. ... okee-5.htm

Does not show anything for MJ's that I could find but did not have much time.

Thanks for the help guys. I will have to just go to the yard and take the cover off and find out what is inside if he will let me.

Found this its not bad

http://www.jeep-comanche.com/index.asp

the tags are their but can not read. I even took a paint stick and tried that trick but no luck. I remeber something about counting the teeth and divid or multiply by the axle teeth to find ratio but can't remeber what it was. lol

The older I get the more I forget the things people never Knew..... lol lol lol :dunno:

the tags are their but can not read. I even took a paint stick and tried that trick but no luck. I remeber something about counting the teeth and divid or multiply by the axle teeth to find ratio but can't remeber what it was. lol

The older I get the more I forget the things people never Knew..... lol lol lol :dunno:

yeah its sometimes easier than that even, yet still involves smelling like gear oil. the ring gear will have sets of numbers on it. youll have to spin it most likely to find them. you are looking for the last two sets of numbers. it will be like 41 10 or 42 9. that tells you teeth on ring gear and teeth on pinion gear. divide the two and bamo! ooh. when you pull the cover off, start from the bottom and work your way up. leave that top bolt or to on and then take a screw driver to pull the cover off the diff if it doesnt come off. that way the gear oil comes out a a nice controlled pattern instead of splashing all over you.

OR you can have someone hold one axleshaft still while you spin the other axle shaft around twice, and count how many times the pinion rotates. about 3 times means 3.07s; about 3 and a half means 3.54; and a little over 4 times means 4.10s.

OR you can have someone hold one axleshaft still while you spin the other axle shaft around twice, and count how many times the pinion rotates. about 3 times means 3.07s; about 3 and a half means 3.54; and a little over 4 times means 4.10s.

yeah but.. the ladies. i mean who dosent wanna get a little dirty to make the ladies a little happy? well i guess living in a college town makes things a little different.

Thanks guys

I knew that it was something like that FX, yeah I remeber about the bottome to the top when undoing the bolts but that was a good reminder.

I hope to have tomorrow off so I can get at this stuff. I have to pull the engine out of the mj so I can get it ready to put in the xj too. To much to do and no time to do it. :doh:

Well do not know what the gears are yet but I did save the thing from getting crushed. it will be in the drive way in a day or two. 90 with a d44, and auto on the column, bench seat burgundy and black outside. long box. frame does not look to bad, springs are good, engine runs. not sure what may happen to this one.