bumper bolts sheared off

Back in the accident 3 weeks ago all of the front bumper bolts sheared off inside the holes. Ive tried eazy outs, but they won't work (break off inside bolts) I took care of the front 2 bolts by breaking off the welded nuts. but the bolt in the back is whats troubling me. I need to install a new bumper and want to use all of the bolts with this bumper, but what should I do to get to the nut on the other side or to extract the bolt? If the nut does break off what are my options for a new bolt. From what I saw there wasn't any access to the nut?

What do u guys think I should do?

Thanks,

James

I think it is a nut. It is the JCR prerunner bumper that is going on and I did get the unibody tie in brackets but with these brackets it relies on the bumper with the 3 stock mounting bolts on the bracket welded to the bumper and then the tie in brackets extend from the front three bolts back to the frame tie in points. I Just don't know if it is necessary to have the 3rd bolt in order for this to work properly. The bumper will be seeing a winch (mounted to 2" reciever) and will get extensive use out of the d rings. Is this even something to be concerned about or should I just leave it with the 2 front nuts/bolts? Do I need to use grade 8 bolts in the front? What grade were the stock mounting bolts? I want something that will hold for the needed pulling and pushing but also want the bolts to shear off again if another idiot crashes into me. That saved the frame from damage in this last accident.

Sorry about having so many questions, just not sure what I need to do to mount this bumper properly.

Is this something I should even worry about? IDK if that 3rd bolt in the back is crucial to holding the new bumper on during towing/pulling/winching, or if I just have 2 on each side holding it onto the front crossmember and frame tie in brackets will work just fine? :hmm:

I'd like to do that, but with this bumper the bracket that is on it only has the 3 front holes on it and it uses frame tie in brackets to make it work.

Here is the bumper:

http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1XJFPRE&Category_Code=XJB

These are the tie in brackets:

http://www.jcroffroad.com/xjuniframe.html

I would just weld the tie in brackets onto the bumper, but I have no welder/welding skills and it voids the warranty to modify the bumper or brackets.

Looks like the frame tie-in brackets have a whole bunch of holes in them. I'd personally prefer the tie ins be welded to the bumper than worry about the warranty, but I understand your concern. I think you should be fine with the JCR tie ins. Are you sure JCR would void the warranty on a JRC bumper if you welded the JCR brackets to them? I didn't see anything about that on the site, but admittedly I didn't look all that hard..

Is this something I should even worry about? IDK if that 3rd bolt in the back is crucial to holding the new bumper on during towing/pulling/winching, or if I just have 2 on each side holding it onto the front crossmember and frame tie in brackets will work just fine? :hmm:

It certainly is something to worry about. If you look at the factory tow hook brackets (which are the same brackets used with the old factory "Hidden Winch" option), I believe they used all the original bumper mounting bolts plus added two or three more on each side. And the hidden winch was only a 5,000 or 6,000 pound winch.

Drill out the bolts if you can, or grind off the old nuts and tack weld new ones in their place.

ok, spent all day on this now, and it payed off. i was able to drill it out and use a screw extractor thing I found at carquest (not a like a normal easy out, but it is a square shape with little cutters on the ends) and I use that to cut out the remaining wall of the screw so that the remaining screw was cut into 4 pieces. Then I used a flat blade screwdriver and a hammer to tap out the 4 pieces of screw. It worked on both sides and the nut in the frame rail is still usable. :banana: