pitman arm question

all right i have the 88 comanche ( DUHHH ) i lifted it 2 inches for now and i am going to put on some cherokee shackles to get about 1.5 inches of lift and i also am going to put on some 3.5 inch springs. i have the shocks and sway bar links so now do i need a drop pitman arm????? ( i have a front skid plate ) thought i would mention it if that matters. so help me out if you can :yes:

all right i have the 88 comanche ( DUHHH ) i lifted it 2 inches for now and i am going to put on some cherokee shackles to get about 1.5 inches of lift and i also am going to put on some 3.5 inch springs. i have the shocks and sway bar links so now do i need a drop pitman arm????? ( i have a front skid plate ) thought i would mention it if that matters. so help me out if you can :yes:

Not sure if the same in the MJ world as it its in the TJ, but the primary application for the DPA is if you have a Trackbar Drop Bracket (or have 7"+ Lift on stock steering components)

I have both on my TJ and I've read that I should have the DPA with the Track Bar Drop Bracket and other place say I should be running OEM DPA...

I'm not happy with my front end right now anyhow...

SW2

I can't find the thread, but Motion Offroad had a well writen guide for using a DPA. If I remember right, unless your 7 inches(of lift :D ) or better, you shouldn't need it. Maybe he'll chime in.

I've got 4.5 and do not plan on using one and the TJ is about 4in and doesn't have one.

:cheers:

I can't find the thread, but Motion Offroad had a well writen guide for using a DPA. If I remember right, unless your 7 inches(of lift :D ) or better, you shouldn't need it. Maybe he'll chime in.

I've got 4.5 and do not plan on using one and the TJ is about 4in and doesn't have one.

What track bar are you running on your TJ?

I don't think you'll need a dropped Pitman arm with that amount of lift, but you'll probably need an adjustable trackbar to re-center the front axle. You'll can probably get by also with shimming the LCAs to get the correct positive caster back (5-8 degrees) rather than needing adjustable LCAs.

What track bar are you running on your TJ?

RE adjustable. It is almost, if not all the way in. Same with the rear. I have the 3.5 RE coils which are more like 4in actual lift.

You should never have to use a drop pitman arm. DPAs should ONLY be used if you're lowering the trackbar mount on the frame, or raising it on the axle, otherwise it will CAUSE bumpsteer. The whole belief that you need a drop pitman arm with a lift has been perpetuated from the days of leaf sprung vehicles without trackbars. On these vehicles you wanted to keep the angle of the draglink as flat as possible to minimize bumpsteer. On vehicles with a trackbar (like your MJ), you want to keep the draglink as parallel to the trackbar as possible to minimize bumpsteer. With a DPA, your making it worse. A dropped pitman arm will also increase the amount of torque/axial loading on the shaft your steering box experiences. If you've ever talked to anyone who's running larger tires and had a frame failure to the steering box mounting area, they'll be the first to tell you that you don't want to do anything to put more stress on the steering box...