Relay terminal

Hello everyone,

I'm having trouble keeping my truck running, I think that it has to do with the relay some how, I have already replaced the fuel pump and filter and both of the relays them self's, but

it still will not run right, it will run for awhile and then just die and if I get out and wiggle the relay unit it will start and run for a little while but then it dies, can any one help me please, I have no one that can help me so I have to do this by myself, female here, not knowing how to fix. Please some help if anyone can.

P.S how can I put pictures on here so that some knows what I'm talking about?

Kellena :???:

How long does it run? A few seconds, a few minutes? Can you move it at all?

If it only runs for a few seconds right after start up, it may be your ballast resistor. It's the small porcelin piece on the inside of the driver's fender with 2 wires going to it.

ballast-resistor-5206436.jpg

Also, if you could please let us know what year and motor your truck has that would help us help you.

Btw, Welcome to the club! :cheers:

If your MJ is an '87, you might not have the ballast resistor, as Geonovast showed, it was OEM in '88+, and was an FSB for the '87.

You might want to check the ground wire behind the left tail light, not only that grounds the tail lights, it also grounds the fuel pump, and the sender unit.

Also, describe in more details what's happing when the truck quits running. This could be many other things to check, like about 4 sensors in the engine.

Like, starting, dose it take alot of cranking to get it running??? that could point to a bad CPS, or a bad CPS connector.

When the truck starts, dose it run at a very high idle???

When the truck quits, dose it sound like it's choking out, and sputters???

All these details help to point you in a direction to start check sensors.

Oh......and welcome to the CC :waving:

If you are sure that it is starting related to wiggling the wiring, pull the relays back out and verify that there are no spread or corroded terminals in the harness. This should involve either removing the wires from the connectors one at a time and slipping them on to the relay terminals to check tightness, or you could sacrifice one of the old relays by breaking it open and pulling off one of the terminals and using it to gauge the tightness of the connectors. There should be drag between the male and female wiring terminals. Also look for any corrosion .

I answered your PM, and here's your pictures-

And yes, check the looseness of the relay female connector, if it's corroded, you could try some contact cleaner, and apply some dielectric grease, and if there just worn out, as I mentioned in the PM, just get some off the shelf female connectors for the relays and replace them.

If it quits again, it could be the EFI box overheating (mine did because the defrost hose was blowing directly onto it) This was in the winter, after driving to Ouray and back (110 in the shade) without so much as a hiccup!