Lift - RIMS - Tires Simple Question

My wife for years has claimed I'm dense and unless it is explained to me 3 times with pictures I still might get the wrong outcome. I've read all most all of the posting on the subject but I think every case is different - I'm a 60 year old man that is very conservative in what he does - but I really enjoy my new MJ - had now for 6 weeks.

I have an 86 Comanche 4x4 longbed with the 2.5L 4sp

I am planning on doing the simple lift of spacer up front and shackles in the rear to give me a 1" lift or 2" if I can find the right kit or components - just put brand new Rough Country shocks on.

If I do a 1" lift as described what can I run safely without rubbing anything are speeding up bearing ware:

Rim 5x7 or 5x8 and recommend BS - jeep standard or aftermarket?

Tire Mud - I know a 30x9.5 will work - I think I can run that without doing anything but what is the safest size I can run.

If I can do a 1 1/2 or 2" lift how does it change the picture. Have no desire to go any higher.

Remember this is a 4 banger

Thanks for you advice

With smaller lifts, you definitely want to stay with Jeep factory rims in 15x6 or 15x7 because they have enough backspacing to allow the tires to "stuff" inside the fenders. There are (to the best of my knowledge, information and belief) NO aftermarket rims offering 5-1/4" or even 5" backspacing. Put anything larger than about a 205/75R15 on an aftermarket rim, and the tires hit the flares and/or sheet metal when the suspension compresses.

With factory rims, the issue is tire contact with the lower control arms. The largest tire that usually fits with no rubbing at all is a 235/75R15. I have run 30x9.50s on both an '87 MJ and '88 XJ and get some very slight rubbing. I also ran 31x10.50R15s on my '88 MJ. They rubbed the control arms on sharp turns. In stock trim, the steering range is about 3-1/2 turns of the steering wheel, lock-to-lock. With the 31s, I lost between 1/4 and 1/2 turn at each extreme. What that means is, quite simply, a larger minimum turning radius. It's not a major problem, and even with the "impaired" turning circle the MJ still turned in a smaller circle than my brother's 4x4 Nissan "hardbody."

With a 1" or 2" budget boost, IMHO the optimum tire size is either a 235/75R15 or a 30x9.50R15. The diameter is almost the same -- the 30x are a little bit wider.

The largest tire that usually fits with no rubbing at all is a 235/75R15.

I run 235/75R15 on stock 10 spoke 15x7 rims and before the current lift, when I just had 1.75" spacers in front, they would rub the stock control arms at full lock, but just barely.

After market adjustable control arms, although stronger, are also narrower since they are tubular. With these you can probably run 30x9.5" without any rubbing at all.

right now I have 235s on ford 15x7 wheels with 0 rubbing stock ride height, I used to have 15x8 aftermarket wheels with 235s & they would rub a little at full turn. I think with 1-2 inch lift 31s would fit but with a 4cyl I would stay with 235s IMO