Racing bucket seats in MJ

Looking into the racing seats shown here

What needs to be done to put in a seatbelt female side in (isn't it attached to the bench seat) Id also like to keep the warning indicator working if possible. What is needed to install it on factory brackets? does the bar that goes across to make both sides move need to stay in? Any other modifications need to be done.

The seat belt is attached to the floor. There us a threaded hole on either side of the tranny hump that they bolt in to.

Seats like that require considerable custom fabrication of brackets to put them in. You should be able to build something that will attach to the factory brackets, but it's going to have them sitting a bit high so if you are tall, it may be an issue.

They will need their own individual slider assemblies as the factory bench stuff will be useless with these.

Hmmm, just a left field thought here. What about removing the seat back assy, and the seat bottom from the frame, leaving the frame hooked to the brackets. Attaching the buckets to the lower seat frame, and just making both buckets move at the same time, like the bench, then making a console to fit the frame btwn the seats?

Hmmm, just a left field thought here. What about removing the seat back assy, and the seat bottom from the frame, leaving the frame hooked to the brackets. Attaching the buckets to the lower seat frame, and just making both buckets move at the same time, like the bench, then making a console to fit the frame btwn the seats?
Interesting idea... The console part would take a little thought as it would obviously move with the seats so you would have to be careful about placement of anything in front of it. :idea:

Interesting idea... The console part would take a little thought as it would obviously move with the seats so you would have to be careful about placement of anything in front of it. :idea:

And watch out for spillage as well!

What I would do is go to a junk yard and pull the brakets for the bucket seats out of a cherokee. You will still have to cut the mounts out the the braket for the bench seat but atleast then you have a frame that won't sit to high and will be able to move them each seperatly.

The brackets on the bench seat are the same as the ones for the buckets. You just have to drill out some rivets to get them off.

Those racing buckets look nice, but getting them to work with the original brackets looks like a pain.

When I replaced the bench in my 87 MJ, I removed the old brackets and took the front seats from a 2-door Cherokee. You drill off the Cherokee brackets and bolt the Comanche brackets into the same holes. Fairly easy, and the seats were $20. Had a local upholstery shop match the colors and fix them up for $100 a seat.

They fit fine, use the same sliders, are stock height and the color matches. And cheaper too.

My opinion is that unless you really *need* racing seats, just go the Cherokee seat route.