'86 Manche Trans swap and drop?

Hi guys, I just recently purchased a 86 comanche. My overall goal is to make a street truck. Yeah like the archer brothers scca truck but i can't find any information on it. My truck is a 4 spd and 2wd so I'm assuming that means it has an AX4? I was reading and it said that the t4 and t5 were optional. I was wondering if a t5 out of a mustang would bolt up with no problems or would i have to get a different bell housing. Also how can i check to see what differential I have. The only other thing how the hell would I lower this thing. I know how to lower the rear but what about the front? Just looking for a little help, input, and info. I also know its aginst gods plan to lower a jeep but hey that still doesnt mean i won't buy another one jamminz.gif .

Buddy

Hi guys, I just recently purchased a 86 comanche. My overall goal is to make a street truck. Yeah like the archer brothers scca truck but i can't find any information on it. My truck is a 4 spd and 2wd so I'm assuming that means it has an AX4? I was reading and it said that the t4 and t5 were optional. I was wondering if a t5 out of a mustang would bolt up with no problems or would i have to get a different bell housing. Also how can i check to see what differential I have. The only other thing how the hell would I lower this thing. I know how to lower the rear but what about the front? Just looking for a little help, input, and info. I also know its aginst gods plan to lower a jeep but hey that still doesnt mean i won't buy another one jamminz.gif .

Buddy

To be honest I'm not quite sure. I just got the thing and I'm a little hesitant to even put the truck into a corner hard. I don't want it slamed but i want it to have enough clearance so that nothing hits when i cross a speed bump.

Buddy

To be honest I'm not quite sure. I just got the thing and I'm a little hesitant to even put the truck into a corner hard. I don't want it slamed but i want it to have enough clearance so that nothing hits when i cross a speed bump.

Buddy

Id like to avoid cutting the springs in order to drop the front and since there is a solid axel both front and rear there shouldnt be any alignment issues. My truck is a 4 cylinder so I was thinking of changing otu to the 3.73 explorer rear end and then the trans. Any info on the trans swap?

Buddy

Id like to avoid cutting the springs in order to drop the front and since there is a solid axel both front and rear there shouldnt be any alignment issues. My truck is a 4 cylinder so I was thinking of changing otu to the 3.73 explorer rear end and then the trans. Any info on the trans swap?

Buddy

You don't need to cut any springs. ZJ (first generation Grand Cherokee) has coil and link in the rear, and using those coils in the front of your Comanche should drop it about 2 inches.

Just because it's a solid axle, doesn't mean you won't have alignment issues. It has a Y style steering setup, and lowering the truck will push the front of your tires away from each other, so you will have to do an alignment. Don't fret, they're easy, here's how to do it.

http://www.4x4xplor.com/alignment.html

For your trans, I would leave the current trans in there, unless you're heart-set on having an overdrive. Then you're going to be looking for a 2wd AX-5. Shouldn't be too hard to come by.

You don't need to cut any springs. ZJ (first generation Grand Cherokee) has coil and link in the rear, and using those coils in the front of your Comanche should drop it about 2 inches.

Just because it's a solid axle, doesn't mean you won't have alignment issues. It has a Y style steering setup, and lowering the truck will push the front of your tires away from each other, so you will have to do an alignment. Don't fret, they're easy, here's how to do it.

http://www.4x4xplor.com/alignment.html

For your trans, I would leave the current trans in there, unless you're heart-set on having an overdrive. Then you're going to be looking for a 2wd AX-5. Shouldn't be too hard to come by.