Should I risk it? (Spacers)

Wheel spacers... Yeah, even with AR-767s I'm not wide enough. That's my final decision as of today.

So, you think I'll kill my D30 between 35x12.5s, AR-767s (4" BS) and 1.25 or 1.5" spacers? I'm not worried about the 8.8.

And I already know, get the good ones...

The wheel bearings and balljoints in the Dana 30 won't like it too much, but that little of backspacing has been done before. Specifically where do you foresee the tire clearance problems?

Jeep on!

--Pete

I'm going to rub in the rear actually, as the 8.8 narrower. But I don't want to have my front narrower than the rear. And I'd like a little more width in general with this height.

My bearings are going to hate me anyways, no suprise there. Hmm, I think I'm leaning towards trussing the D30, which I've wanted to do a long time anyways, and just doing it and hoping nothing breaks.

If it does, I wasted my money on the spacers.

'Nother question, why are they normally aluminum anyways? Weight?

Ease of machining probably.

If I had a Dana 30 in my '88, I would have trussed it, even for my smaller tires. Strengthening the Dana 30 is NEVER a bad idea. Have you considered 33s? Does your 30 at least have the bigger U-joints?

Normally an inch of width difference hardly justifies the cost of spacers, but the rear body of a Comanche is already wider than the front so it may look worse. Have you put everything together and checked it out? My rear axle is one inch norrower than the front and with the body difference, the front tires needed about 2" more coverage with the flare extensions to match the rear. Personally, I think it looks fine the way it turned out, but I dare not have all that rubber running exposed on the street. The easiest way to get out of a ticket is to not get pulled over in the first place. :D So I added the door flashing to the front and called it a day.

Jeep on!

--Pete

Laws here aren't really an issue.

Shafts with the new 297X U-Joints are lying around here somewhere. I've not regeared the front yet, they'll go in then. And I'll 'fix' that stupid vac disco then.

Hmm, maybe just throw spacers on the rear actually... The D30 is about 2"-3" wider than the D35, and the 8.8 is 2" narrower than the 35. Those are all round numbers based on guessing. :wink:

And I don't care about looks, I care that it's going to rub the frame really bad. All the width I wanted was for stability and avoiding the rubbing.

And no, I'm too headstrong to run 33s. I got a deal on the 35s, and to pick up new 33s would be aboooout $1153.24 if Kal tire is true to their word. Yes, I could sell the 35s and try to find used 33s. I'm confident I could sell them, but not that I could find 33s.

I talked to some locals and looked at their junk. They say I'll get away with 35s and a D30, and I trust them because they do. They run the trails I plan to, so I think I'll be okay. None of them are trussed. However I forgot to ask their opinon on running spacers, so thus this whole thread.

And as I've said before, if this whole mess breaks, I'll just go fullwidths. It's what I should have done in the first place.

I am running the 8.8, and I had to use wheel spacers in the rear. I went with spidertrax, cause at the time they were the only game in town. Ihear trail sport makes some nice one for almost 50 bucks less. Make sure you use loc tite on all the bolts, and torque everything to what the instructions recommend.

AS for the d30. I am currently wheeling 33x12.5 bfg MT's the old style ones. Up to this last rebuild I could not go on a trail ride w/o busting u-joints. or axle shafts. I ended up buying chromo shafts with 760 joints :roll: Yeah I spent some coin on the d30, and I probrably could have built a d44 or maybe a lowbuck d60 for the front the coin I spent on it.

I don't know what your utlimate plans are, but if you wheel your rig hard.. I suggest getting the hub conversion from warn or Mile marker. I would have been money ahead if I don't that. I am on my 3rd set of bearings this yr. But I also wheel my rig frequently.

Patrick

Hmm, maybe just throw spacers on the rear actually... The D30 is about 2"-3" wider than the D35, and the 8.8 is 2" narrower than the 35. Those are all round numbers based on guessing. :wink:

Close, except that from my research the 30 and 35 are the same width and the 8.8 is one inch narrower (.5 per side).

Jeep on!

--Pete

Actually the 8.8 is almost an 1.5" narrower.

On the front wheel bearings, Jeep for what ever reason designed these around 5" of BS. So anything less then this puts an extra load on the bearings. This is why they don't last as long as the older style ones where the load is spread out over a larger area. Add heavier and bigger tires, and they just don't stand the extra stress and sheer load. I have spent over 600 bucks this yr on wheel bearings. The local auto parts store don't honor their warranty cause of "how" I use my rig :evil: So needless to say I found a more off road friendly store to do buisness with. Now I have yet to break anything this one has sold me.

Patrick

I swear this thing tracked wider in the front than the rear when it was stock. I guess that's what you get for measuring with the good ol' eyeball.

What the heck, I'll try to find some good spacers for the rear, and we'll just see what happens. I'm not huge on the rocks here for the most part, between being wet, slippery, and sharp I'm not enough of a driver for them yet. If I get into them, that'll be the end of the whole D30 thing. Everything else should be mild enough.

And yeah, Patrick's right on the width for the 8.8, I just fudged the numbers on it because it was late.

If you have anymore questions concerning the swap, and what problems I ran into.. just holler. In my area very few ppl lift their MJ... I was the only one at the VA4WDA annual run, and there was 250 vehicles there :shock: I guess that means I am special or just down right crazy for bashing my rig :twisted:

Patrick

So you need to go completely through, yes? My hole saws have a hex end to them but I don't own a big enough chuck to accomodate them. My solution was to use a socket and driver bit. It allows me to use my current drill, but also to add ratchet extensions as needed. I cut all my holes for the rocker guards that way. Six 2-1/8" holes completely through the frame and I didn't have to cut from underneath the truck at all. :D That would have been a TON of work moving the exhaust, gas tank, etc.

Jeep on!

--Pete

I assume you're talking about the front section of the frame. I got to put my rocker bars anywhere I wanted so I could avoid the complication. What doe Rusty advise? I know they've done it before so they must have some sort of solution, right? :roll:

Jeep on!

--Pete