2wd to 4wd

I'm new to the Manche world, and I've already found myself addicted. I've found a decent 2wd near me for $1500 that I'm looking to purchase in the next few weeks. I'm wanting to use this as a DD/weekend wheeler, so I'm going to convert it to 4WD. My question(s), what all do I need that I've left out of the following list?

I have:

HP 30 ready to go

NP231

AW4

Anything I'm forgetting? :doh:

Thanks in advance.

front drive shaft

shifter and linkage for TC

rear drive shaft

What transmission and engine do you have?

If possible see if you can find a (cheap, wrecked?) 4wd Cherokee with the same engine/transmission. You can get everything you need off it except rear driveshaft, and would already have the same gear ratio as your rear axle.

I'm new to the Manche world, and I've already found myself addicted.

Yea, the only cure for that is..............

Buy more MJ's :D

:rotf:

I agree.......if you can find a XJ, same era that's a junker, is the best way, cause your going to miss, or forget a small part here and there, and also, unless you have a 4wd sitting near by, to check where everything goes, like vacuum lines, if you do the D30 disco.

The conversion is not a real pain, very plug and play, the results are really worth it :yes:

front drive shaft

shifter and linkage for TC

rear drive shaft

What transmission and engine do you have?

The Manche has a 4.0L. I have an AW4 out of an old 4x4 Cherocar. The dirty 30 came from the same XJ, and it's non-disco. Would the front driveshaft from the Cherokee work with the MJ? It would probably be close, so I'll just have to measure once the x-fer case is in.

I don't recommend hooking up the disco on a vac Dana 30. Just permanently engage it and plug the lines. :D

Yeah, I was quite embarrassed after lunch when I needed 3 tries and a running start to get up the very first hill on the easy trail at Badlands last week. It wasn't until a quarter mile later I realized my front wheels weren't pulling. Looked under and there are the vacuum lines, just dangling.

I guess the 4wd light not being lit *could* have been a tip-off, if the bulb hadn't been burned out a few months back...

say, if I remove the shift fork and stuff, would a single piece passenger side shaft fit in my current housing?

That's pretty much all you really need. That article even covers the seal that a CAD axle needs (slightly different than a non-CAD axle). Just install the newer axle shaft like the instructions say (including the seals in the new locations.) For the CAD itself, just remove the guts and silicone the housing back on.

Or you can just shim the fork and call it a day. If you're going through the effort of swapping in a new shaft, I would go with the newer shafts that take the bigger U-joints and do both sides.