1986 2.5L won't start!?!

Here's what happened. I drove my truck to a friend's farm to put up a tree stand. When I got back in my truck to leave I turned the key to start up and all that happened was a click, then I lost my interior lights and nothing worked. No headlights, no horn etc.. I cleaned the battery teminals and when I got back in the truck I had interior lights. I hit the key again... there was a click and I lost my interior lights again. Had the truck towed to my house and measured 12.62 volts at the battery. Is there a step by step methodical way to figure this problem out? I sure could use some advice. Thanks in advance. Craig

What's the condition of the battery cables? Did you clean the insides of the cable terminals and not just the battery post? (I only ask because I had a friend do that).

I would take the battery in to one of the auto parts stores that does free checks on batteries.

Also, my 90 is notorious for giving me that same "click" when the battery is just fine. Seems I have to fiddle with the terminals every stinking time I try to start it (which is admittedly like once a month and the reason I haven't replaced the cables yet).

Or like mine, I park it and next time i go to start it....ABOUSOLUTELY nothing(not even a click)...i have my girlfriend hop in and try to turn the key i accidentally hit a plug on my soluneiod, and it starts right up.... :dunno: but i havent had that problem since

Sorry guys for unintentionally not giving enough information. Yes I cleaned the battery teminals and cables. My truck has the four speed manual transmission. About a year ago I had to replace the clutch master cylinder and yes it did the brake fluid deposit on my fuse box nonsense. Perhaps I am incorrectly considering the battery as the problem because of its 12.62 volts showing on my multi-meter. Thanks.

Absolutely a bad connection, with no response from jump, you have to trace the battery cables. Most likely the ground. Run the jumper from positive to starter. If it spins, you have bad ositive cable. If no spin then bad ground cable.

+1 what jaekl said.

I occasionally had the 'mystery click' on my '86. I'd jiggle the battery wires, then it would start right up - but the clock, radio presets, etc would be reset. On mine, turned out to be a cracked/stretched negative terminal that wasn't making good contact with the battery post.

Track your cables and check/clean/tighten every connection.

The problem was in the negative battery cable where the wire goes into the terminal end. Lots of corrosion. Craig

Yea, those after market replacement ends for battery cables are notorious for getting corrosive and not allowing the correct electric flow through.

Glad you figured it out. :thumbsup: