Open radiator

Theoretically, you could install an open radiator and leave the surge tank, but that leaves you with the same disadvantages of a plastic tank that's prone to crack and have the cap warp so it doesnt seal.

And the "open" radiators don't have any place in the driver's side tank for the temperatire sensor that controls the auxiliary fan, so if you have an aux fan you'll be lft trying to find a way to control it.

I thought that I saw an open radiator on a 91 cherokee, and I'm thinking of putting it on my 90xj.

Where are those fan switch on that radiator?

It's in the thermostat housing.

But it isn't a "switch." It's a sensor, which sends data to the ECU, and the ECU controls the fan. It's a completely different setup than the Renix years, where the fan switch in the radiator tank really is just a switch.

Another way to go would be to use a Moroso part number 63745. this is an piece that goes into your upper radiator hose and lets you put a radiator cap on.

You then use a later model heater control valve, and get rid of the plastic tank completely. The Moroso part cost about $30.00 you also need a cap, about $10. you can probably find a coolant recovery bottle in a junk yard, or convert your old plastic tak to one. If you look around the web there are several write ups on converting from a closed to an open system. you can get the heater control valve part number and the repiping instructions from those articles. One note, the radiator cap should be installed at the higest point possible, to let the air out of the system.

And the "open" radiators don't have any place in the driver's side tank for the temperatire sensor that controls the auxiliary fan, so if you have an aux fan you'll be lft trying to find a way to control it.

you could wire it to an "on" slot in the fuse block. that way its only on when the key is on and it will only be cooling the motor when the t-stat is open.