Painting the truck

Well, looks like the next few days are going to be my last chance at painting the 88 (the one in my avatar). The Zolatone has a limited shelf life and it likely won't survive the winter (got it last spring). The next few days are supposed to be in the low 60s and dry and I'll probably never see that again till March.

So, anyone ever used Zolatone and have any pointers? I'm guessing the answer is no, but you guys continue to surprise me with the breadth of knowledge this group has. :D From what I've been told it's fairly toxic to breath, so I'll be using a cartridge mask and full goggles.

Tomorrow I'll be hitting up the junkyard for a passenger side fender. The one in the 88 is pretty smashed (contact with the tire) and, while my expectations for this project are pretty low, if I'm putting this much effort into it I'd prefer to start from scratch. If I smash it again later, so be it.

I plan to remove all the fender flares and will be putting black ones back on the truck. So in the end it'll be a speckled desert tan color with black flares and the black rockers (I'll be keeping the black liner on them black). Bumpers and rollbar will also remain black. Pretty much all I'll be doing is changing the red color to tan.

I don't know. We'll see how this turns out. :dunno:

But relatively speaking it'll be worse than it is right now. Currently my truck is already rust colored and so the rust doesn't show at all. :D You just see holes in the sheetmetal. :roll:

I want to go with a military look, but I don't really want OD green. Should look pretty sweet once I get the canvas cover made up.

That I will certainly do. Especially with this paint. It's not like ordinary paint. Kinda like a mix between paint and bed liner. Today I swapped on my new fender and patched holes. Tomorrow I'll be sanding and masking and using the old fender as practice.

Oh, and I was unable to find red scotchbrite, so I bought 120 grit sanding sponges instead. :dunno:

Single stage. No clear, no prime (except on the bare metal I just added today), no sanding except for scuffing up the current paint to help adhesion. Think of it more like a spray-on bedliner than regular paint. :brows: Supposed to be tough as nails when it cures. jamminz.gif