Looking for pics of plow mounts

I have a nice 6.5" meyer plow with mounts for an older CJ. I'm building a new winch bumper for the old MJ and would be interested in seeing some pics of factory style mounts. I have a pretty good idea how i'm going to build it but thought maybe some more pics might inspire me. Oh and I plan to make the plow mount removable so it can still be wheeled.

I'll post up some picture of a Meyer's 2 meter {Factory} under cartage / frame, there not the greatest pictures, but I do have this off now, and can take pictures of the under cartage, and measurements if you need-

I was going to say.......the nice thing with the Meyer's is you can re-install the OEM bumper.......but your going with a winch mount also......so that might not work.

I also have a Snoway like this-

Over the weekend I could get more detailed pictures if you need, I know some one is putting a Meyer plow on their MJ now, and might post better pictures for you ;)

As you know......the under cartage from the CJ will not fit on the MJ / XJ. Well......not a direct bolt on.

It's an older 6.5 Meyer Uni-Mount but if I can help just let me know - going to start the tear-down/swap-over from this XJ to my '88 MJ this weekend (after the new lower radiator hose install), will have plenty of reference pics ~ low mileage '88 XJ for sale (soon) - loaded, all power options, even has a factory sunroof! auto, 4wd.... plow not included ;)

meyer1.jpg

:shake:

Only from some one in Florida :roll:

Well.......I lived on a farm for many years, and I even bought the farm........I have plow furrows before, but I think were all talking about SNOW.

That the "white" stuff you see on the trucks, you know......the stuff Santa Claus lives with.......runs the sleight in........has a beard that looks like snow?????

Not the kind of snow "powder" your thinking of :razz:

And......everyone is getting their SNOW plow on for the upcoming season, you know, up north, we have 4 seasons, not 2 like Floridians' have.

:shake:

Wildman, thanks for the pics... If you get a chance maybe take a pic of the side plates, how it bolts to the unibody. I was kinda thinking of making the lower mount a separate piece that could be removed at the end of winter. The winch bumper is going to have a grill hoop so I can incorporate a way to attach the pump to that. I will not need lights or anything as the jeep sits up pretty high as it is and the plow should not block the headlights at all unless its raised all the way up. Either way its only for my driveway....

Here is my sketch for the undercarrige, I have a 4'x4' sheet of 1/4" steel I was going to use to make the side plates. The center part is from the CJ mount and is 2" angle 1/4" thick....

wwdqip.jpg

Will do......I'll get over to the shop today, and get you some pictures and measurements. Post them up tonight.

I know the Meyers plow mounts on the out side of the "frame" at the same locations if you have OEM tow hooks, the same 2, 1/2" bolts thru the frame on each side. When I moved the plow from the '88 to the '89 with the tow hooks, I found this out ;)

Your drawing looks very close to what you would need, but I think when you see the pictures, you'll realize something, that if you mount the 'plates' on the frame, the lower, cross section where the plow's A-frame mounts, is bolted to the side plates, and that will give you the "removable" feature that your looking for. I'm sure this was Meyer's way of making one A-frame mount, and various vehicle frame mounts :roll:

I agree, if your lifted enough, you should not need the plow lights, but if you find that the plow blocks your head lights, you can add the lights latter, and if you do have this on the road, you need to address the turn signals being blocked by the plow. When I raise my Snoway, the top of the plow comes up to the top of the hood, and I'm sure the Meyer's would be about the same.......if you blade is 24" high.

One feature the Meyer's has, is the pump unit is mounted to the upper loop with hitch pins, and can be removed when not in use, but also is very easy to be remove by other's and if you seen the value of the pump unit, you will remove it when your not using it :roll:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I found a good deal on a used, but rebuilt a couple seasons ago, E47 pump. I have started to build my mount over the weekend, and I keep changing my mind how I want to to it. I just want to make it look nice so i'm being overly picky, but its fun. I also downloaded the 50 some page user manual from meyers website, mostly for the wire diagrams. And I picked up some momentary DPDT toggle switches from radio shaft and a few feet of different color wires to make my controler. Hell they are going on ebay for close to a hundred bucks for a couple feet of wire and 2 switches that I got at radio shack for $12. Only thing I need is to go down to napa and pick up a solenoid...

I'll post more pics when I actually make some progress. I need to work fast, we got our first snow of the year today!!

23ur7dl.jpg

ccee_1.JPG

I was wondering how you were doing with your plow set up.........and yea, we got a dusting last week......and more projected for tomorrow :eek:

And No.......I don't have my plow ready for the season.......Yet :doh:

I think you'll like your setup better with the E47, and good idea with making your own switches, yea, that stuff is pricey for sure.

Just one thing........when you get the solenoid, make sure it's for a plow set up, or for a motor, not like a starter solenoid, they don't hold up with the plow motor.

Keep the update.......before the snow falls :yes:

slow start on things. Not going to use my sketch above for the mount exactly like I drew it. I picked up a little bit of 1/4" angle iron and going to do something like the western mount. Up front i'll catch the 3 bumper bolts, then in the back I'll catch the large sleeved hole on the side of frame as well as the holes on the bottom that the splash guard and sway bar mount to. As far as the hoop goes, not sure on that yet. Build it as it goes I guess :cheers:

Here is a start on the bumper...

2rvzbyc.jpg

2ewfoue.jpg

Agree with you on the back angles to support the lower front mount, cause of your lift, you need to drop the plow carriage lower to keep the moldboard angle correct for pushing.

I know you have your plate mounted on the outboard side of the frame, but don't relie on just the three bumper mount holes, the front "frame" is not that strong at that point. One old plow MJ that I dissected last year, the front section was cracked and bent down just from the plow mount :eek:

On your diagram, the purple line, if you extent it further into the frame, 4-6 inches, even with one bolt tied thru the frame, you'll transfer more of the force and load into the main frame of the MJ. And still use the "kicker" back like your yellow line shows.

And yea.......I'm still not ready with my plow, but all I need to do is hook up the power wire, and toss the hitch pins on, and I'm ready ;)

I just hope the snow holds off for another 2 months.......after I'm done with an outside job :D

• 1 month later...

Update!

No actual progress yet, but this week was finals week at school and now I have a couple weeks off before winter semester starts. I also got a new toy to help cut out all the parts for the plow mount and the winch bumper! Oh and we are getting snow!!! So I have to get this thing moving now!

2q9cb9j.jpg

a14t1t.jpg

Oh hell ya, let the building begin jamminz.gif

Cuts like butter, and the slag on the back falls off with one pass of the grinder

2afjqit.jpg

I put on a 220v plug, and higher psi on the air and it slices through 3/8" like f'ing butter. 110v plug just was not cutting it, it would cut 1/4" put was tricky. You can even knock the little slag left over off with a welding hammer.

2wf5u38.jpg