97-01 4-DR XJ Front Doors...

I have seen other threads mentioning this upgrade with a vast array of bits and pieces. I have 2 1997 (power) front doors out of a 4-door XJ on the way. What additional parts, harness parts, etc. will I need and what hardware mods will I need to make everything work? Thanks for your advice. I hope it is not too difficult...

:cheers:

Paul

We just put 97 doors on my MJ a couple months ago. The MJ originally had manual windows and locks, so a lot of wiring was involved to get the power windows and locks working.

Pete Trasborg from JP Magazine did all the wiring. As we did the swap, he was taking notes and pictures for an article he's doing. So the writeup will be in the magazine in a few months.

The doors themselves are easy to swap on. You just have to drill a new hole since the 97+ striker is a two-bolt plate.

We just put 97 doors on my MJ a couple months ago. The MJ originally had manual windows and locks, so a lot of wiring was involved to get the power windows and locks working.

Pete Trasborg from JP Magazine did all the wiring. As we did the swap, he was taking notes and pictures for an article he's doing. So the writeup will be in the magazine in a few months.

The doors themselves are easy to swap on. You just have to drill a new hole since the 97+ striker is a two-bolt plate.

Thank you for the input, Johnny. Your upgrade is totally awesome! jamminz.gif I truly envy what you have accomplished. In the meantime, I have to figure out how I am going to achieve the same results! I know of no Jeep Magazine editors who are willing to knock upon my door to ask me for permission to upgrade my Comanche for an article they are writing, but perhaps I could bribe an auto-electrican to figure out the entire mess for me!

Maybe with enough cash and a wiring diagram, some drunken auto-electrician might be willing to give it a shot at creating the same results for yours truly! You really do have an awesome MJ setup and remain an inspiration for my own MJ goals! At the end of the day, "It's a great day to be alive!"

V/R

Paul

Wow, thanks for the kind words Paul.

The MJ is an ongoing work in progress. Next is the 97+ front clip swap. Then hopefully by the end of the year, it'll get a nice new paint job and a Line-Xed bed.

Then the only direction from there is.....UP. :D

I made a few telephone calls today to various businesses who claimed to be in the auto-electric industry. Most shrugged-off how difficult it would be to accomodate a power source for the 97+ power doors.

Some said "no...won't touch it" and others said "how much $$$ are you willing to spend", but one business that has been established for over 40 years, said "sure...we can get you what you need...shouldn't be too difficult to do...all we need is the year, make and model of the replacement power doors and we'll do the rest"! I said, "dude...you're hired! :beerhead:

I have found my business to do the job!

Johnny,

I would greatly appreciate an image or two of the inside of your doors/interior!

V/R

Paul

What kind of pictures do you want Paul?

This is the only downside to adding 97+ doors with power. There would be no interference with manual doors.

Image Not Found

Those are great pics! So there is a slight bit of rubbing? An auto-upholstry shop could probably remedy that with a little nick/tuck job. I used 97-01 door moulding to replace my old moulding. The 97-01 moulding is thicker and now I have to use a bit mor force to get the door all the way shut than before...

V/R

Paul

I also have the later door moulding. Actually put that on before I got the new doors.

The glovebox door hitting the door panel isn't an issue with me. The door opens enough to get things in and out. Plus, how many times do I really open the glovebox anyways?

I made a few telephone calls today to various businesses who claimed to be in the auto-electric industry. Most shrugged-off how difficult it would be to accomodate a power source for the 97+ power doors.

Some said "no...won't touch it" and others said "how much $$$ are you willing to spend", but one business that has been established for over 40 years, said "sure...we can get you what you need...shouldn't be too difficult to do...all we need is the year, make and model of the replacement power doors and we'll do the rest"! I said, "dude...you're hired! :beerhead:

I have found my business to do the job!

Johnny,

I would greatly appreciate an image or two of the inside of your doors/interior!

V/R

Paul

.........Not found of wiring?

Wiring in the newer doors is pretty damm easy, just need to sit down and start running the new wiring(assuming your MJ did not have power windows/doors already)

.........Not found of wiring?

Wiring in the newer doors is pretty damm easy, just need to sit down and start running the new wiring(assuming your MJ did not have power windows/doors already)

No...I am not. You are one of the few to profess the simplicity of this swap. I am glad that this is "easy" for you.

V/R

Paul

Yeah, if I can find a set of the darker panels, I'd get them. I don't really care for the faux wood trim on the ones I have.

But I can live with them for now. After all, Pete sold me the doors and wired them for a really good price. :brows:

Yeah, if I can find a set of the darker panels, I'd get them. I don't really care for the faux wood trim on the ones I have.

But I can live with them for now. After all, Pete sold me the doors and wired them for a really good price. :brows:

If you find more panels Ill take that trim piece .... It'll match my dash bezel perfectly!!!

If you find more panels Ill take that trim piece .... It'll match my dash bezel perfectly!!!

The trim piece doesn't come off seperate, the door panel needs to be switched out. Also, that faux wood trim stuff is what came on the limiteds. The cool thing is the limiteds came with that pocket, where all the other door panels didn't.

Once day I am hoping to find a junked panel that I can take the pocket off of and install into my good panels.

ewwww those door panels are UGLY. I'm gona run 2 door XJ power switches....

Actually, I prefer the lighter color door panels as the old MJ interiors were made up of the lighter grey. The darker grey would not match the older MJ interior IMO.

I had to return to the pull/pay salvage yard to acquire the strikers from the XJ that supplied my doors. The air bags had been deployed and there were beer cans on the floor...sad. :brows:

:beerhead:

Paul