Power Mirrors on the MJ

Last Sunday I found a pair of power mirrors on a 97 Cherokee at a pick a part yard. Got the pair for $14.00 and they are in decent condition.

I am willing to use them without electrical power, but am thinking I can hook up a power window controller and run some wires, why not.

My Comanche has the column shift automatic and full bench seat. So the factory Cherokee set up will not work.

Can anyone suggest an good location to mount a controller and source for a new ore used controller to adjust the mirrors?

Thanks

The XJ in the junkyard didn't have a controller?

You could put it in the door panel or in one of those blank panels on the dash, if you have one. Or you could get some 97+ XJ door panels and modify them to fit.

I have power mirrors on my MJ. But I have the whole complete doors from a 97 XJ.

Last Sunday I found a pair of power mirrors on a 97 Cherokee at a pick a part yard. Got the pair for $14.00 and they are in decent condition.

I am willing to use them without electrical power, but am thinking I can hook up a power window controller and run some wires, why not.

My Comanche has the column shift automatic and full bench seat. So the factory Cherokee set up will not work.

Can anyone suggest an good location to mount a controller and source for a new ore used controller to adjust the mirrors? Thanks

Go ahead and use the stock controller, and mount it in the dash or door panel. It just pops into a rectangular hole about 2" x 1". You should also grab the wiring pigtail on the controller to make the wiring easier. I put them in my rig; if you want a wiring diagram shoot me an email address and I'll send it to you.

could you get the driver side switch panel from a 4dr pre-97 XJ and use the rear window switches for left and right mirror control?

Good idea, but you would have to use three switches I think since the window switches are all SPDT. One to select right or left side, one for UP/DOWN movement, and one for LEFT/RIGHT movement.

i'm drawing a blank on what the 6th switch is for on that panel?? pwr locks, front and rear windows and................. :wall:

Because I'm wondering if you could do w/out whatever that one is. Plus, if he doesn't have pwr locks, he could just use that switch for the L/R. I realize already though this is a bigger pain in the @$$ than modding the XJ switch that goes with the mirrors. Oh well..........

i'm drawing a blank on what the 6th switch is for on that panel?? pwr locks, front and rear windows and................. :wall:

Because I'm wondering if you could do w/out whatever that one is. Plus, if he doesn't have pwr locks, he could just use that switch for the L/R. I realize already though this is a bigger pain in the @$$ than modding the XJ switch that goes with the mirrors. Oh well..........

It's a master lock switch so the little bastids in the back seat can't open the door and/or fool with the power windows. Yeah, more trouble than it's worth, but doable. :D

Lot's of good ideas so fast! Need some time to digest them. The Comanche is my number 3 vehicle, just used for truck duties. But it is a candatae to replace the SUV for towing the camping trailer. Only problem is what do I do with the 3 grandkids?

Where on the dash do we suggest we position the mirror controller?

JJ

Eventual goal/plan is to have power locks, power windows and everything else. So I want to plan for the future...even if it is a long way away. That may include 97 plus doors. Not sure just now.

JJ

Finally got a good look at where the power mirror switch is located on the 97 and later Cherokee.

I was looking all over the dash and the center console on the 97 I got my mirrors from.

Seems I missed the switch on the door arm rest! Do I feel like a fool! And I damaged the door panels taking the mirrors off. Sheesh...

Should have taken my time and pulled both complete doors. Then painted the doors white.

Really dumb.

On the pre-97 XJs and MJs, the mirror control is a multi-directional switch mounted in the center console. There's no reason you couldn't use the blank switch panel to the right of the steering column, since on most MJs it has nothing in it. Get yourself a set of three single-pole, double-throw, center off toggle switches. Use one to control which mirror you're working with, one for the vertical adjustment and one for the horizontal.

Or score an XJ mirror control switch and mount that in the aforementioned spot on the dashboard.

Also, if you are installing either the old style or new style power mirrors into a door that previously had manual remote mirrors you will want to get the interior block off plates from a 96- XJ/MJ that either had power mirrors, or if an MJ, that had the door mount mirrors.

Also to remove your manual remote mirrors the plastic black off plate is held onto the "joystick" with a tiny little torx, I think a t-10 or so.....its pretty tiny, too small to be in most screw driver bits sets.