4.10 gears in an axle

okay i really have wanted these for a long time

so i going to the pick and pull this week and need to know

what to look for so i know that there is 4.10 in side the axle and not something like 3.07 or even a rat nest

any tips

also pm me if you have one so i don't have to look all over ... i meen under every jeep in all oklahoma city/ stillwater

Look at the axle tag on the axle.. Will say 4.10 or 41 10. Or pull the cover off the front and look for the numbers on the pinion, will say 41 10. Most 4 bangers had 4.10's..

Dave

realy? i thought the lowest they came with was 3.55 like mine

i could use some pics of what he is talking about :roll:

axle tag?

There is a small metal tag attached to the axle's differential cover with one of the differential bolts. It'll have a bunch of numbers on it.

Also, a 2.5L with the 4-speed manual generally came with 3.55 gears while the 2.5L with the 5-speed manual generally came with 4.10 gears (a benefit of having the overdrive).

Don't forget that Cherokee and Wrangler rear axles will also fit with a minimum of effort. Explorer rear axles will fit with a bit more work.

This gives you an idea.. of where its at, its the bump between the two bolts there on the left.

20.jpg

This is the pic of the front axle of the jeep i just picked up, usually that tag is burried under a 1/4" of grease, take a screw driver and scrape it real well to reveal what it says.

dave

The 4.10 gears give the engine more leverage over the tires than 3.55 gears. To the driver this is felt as if you had more power from the engine. 5th gear would be worthless with 3.55s and the 2.5L because the rpms would be too low at freeway speeds (they'd be below the optimal torque).

That depends on factors like tire size and the particular type of roads and speeds the truck sees. But any fuel mileage gains either way would be minimal (and I personally prefer driveability to fuel mileage). I'll take 4.10 over 3.55 any day.

AHHHH... it was the AT that got the 4.56. Thanks Pete... :cheers: I know a lot about the mechanical workings of Jeeps, but I am still a bit rusty on the configurations on that type of stuff for the MJ. I know Wranglers much better though as I have owned them 10 times longer than the MJ ;)