i need a diagnostic

haven't been on in awhile because i haven't gotten the internet at my new place yet. anyways, first of all, when i turn on the air conditioner i get this weird noise coming from underneath the hood, sounds like the engine revs up and then it makes this clicking noise a couple times.

sencondly, my clutch pedal has gotten more play in it some how. i went to pendleton for round up over the weekend and i hadn't driven it anywhere but to walmart to cash my check and then back to the house i was staying at and hadn't driven it until i went down town the next day, and that was when i noticed the pedal had more play in it than usual, it already had about an inch of play. like loose play.

how do i go about fixing these problems? there isn't any slip when i shift. is the clutch bad, is it hydrolic or is there a cable i can tighten?

I am not sure what the engine issue may be at this point.

The clutch is hydraulic. You should first check the fluid level in the master cylinder. It is located on the firewall just to the left of the brake booster and should have a round black cap about 2.5" in diameter. If that is low, then you obviously have a leak somewhere. If it is not low then you likely are experiencing a failure of either the master or slave cylinder. The master would be easy to change as it is right there on the firewall, but the slave is inside the tranny bellhousing and requires removal of the tranny.

mmm yeahthat.gif also there is a shaft that runs from the clutch pedal through the firewall. push the clutch pedal to the floor and then let it out. push back the boot and look and feel for any type of fluids. if you feel anything that is not grease. then you need to put some brake fluid in the master cyl. resivoir. the cap will tell you what type to use but I'm willing to bet its dot 3. if that is clean then check for any cracks or wet spots on the line. if you find one then replace the line. imho, if you need a new line then i would buy a quality slave cylinder and replace it while in the process. pita but its worth changing it while its working rather than changing it on the side of the road in a town.

just checked the fluid and there's really none in there. i was playin with the clutch pedal the other day, and everything around the fuse box is dry, and there hasn't been any leaking spots under my truck. i'll pick up some fluid first thing tomorrow.

You likely have a leak in the line or the slave is leaking. If you need a slave, do as suggested above and buy a good one. I bought aftermarket for mine and ended up getting one from the dealership anyway after seeing how it was made and hearing of the other guys around here having issues. I didn't want ot have to take the tranny out a second time as some have had to do...

You likely have a leak in the line or the slave is leaking. If you need a slave, do as suggested above and buy a good one. I bought aftermarket for mine and ended up getting one from the dealership anyway after seeing how it was made and hearing of the other guys around here having issues. I didn't want ot have to take the tranny out a second time as some have had to do...
X2 :agree: want to make sure that you have a good slave cylinder I would spend the xtra $$$$ for the dealership :brows: had I known the outcome with the cheap $#!& and easy to obtain and takin the tranny down twice :headpop:

After adding fluid to clutch bleed the air out.I had to soak bleader screw in PB-blast penitrating oil and then later heat it a bit to get it unstuck just go easy on heat.

mm. probabally not the best idea, seeing as brake fluid is combustalbe and aluminum is a very weak metal. heating may cause warpage or crack.

just go easy on heat.... I used a propane torch turned down as low so the temp is not nearly as hot as oxy/acetylene and mostly heated the bleader screw itself then cool it with oil.I was actualy more woried about setting hydrolic hose on fire,the penitrating oil did burn off quickly ,probably should have rinsed that off first.I did take the nesessary safety precautions ;Super soaker water pistol (full of water and all pumped up),Fire ext.,and Teenager neer my feet instructed to yank me out only if I catch on fire (I was on creaper to make last step easier).

BTW Thanks to BLHTAZ for info on after market hydrolic release bearing(slave) being bad. Thats something that I need to replace, I was just going to get a "Sacks" brand but will go to dealer instead. What about parts store disk and preasure plate quality??
I used the aftermarket clutch & plate with no problem, but the slave that came with it was trash. I tried to use it, but it wouldn't even fit right. The visual difference was impressive with the OE cylinder and the fit was perfect.