I screwed up. Little rant.

DirtyComanche

So I have this pile of an XJ that I've been working on (didn't bother to post a build thread here). I figured I'd try everything that I figured was nifty with it, after all it's a dirt cheap pile. It's kinda like when you pick up that really dirty girl at the bar, you might as well do everything that you've always wanted to try, right? Anyways, so I did weld in rock sliders (rocker replacements) and it actually came out good enough that I was inclined to try to make a nice build of the thing. I mean, if she took that like a champ, what else can she do?

So I figured I'd try something different for trimming the rear wheel wells. Instead of just cutting it to the pinch, or cutting and folding the pinch, I figured I'd weld some flat bar behind the pinch and remove the lip/pinch completely.

Man, did it ever come out bad.

Image Not Found

I don't even know what to say. It's so ugly that I didn't even bother to clean up the front area. I just quit. Yeah, clearance is good and all that, but I didn't do it well enough for clearance to be great. In fact, had I stopped for about 15 seconds and thought about what I was doing before I did it, I could have made it so it came out looking decent, and with better clearance.

Anyways, that's my little rant for the night. Now I get to cut that crap off and try it again.

Well, there's only one way to find out for sure if something will work... :D

Are you displeased with it structurally or cosmetically? If it just looks ugly, a have a feeling that a flare will cover it up nicely. :brows:

I've know XJ guys wanting REAL clearance to remove the inner wells entirely and make their own -- larger -- tubs to weld in. I don't know if the wheel well shells are structurally part of the unibody, so if I were doing it I'd make them out of decent stock and weld in place. But maybe that's overkill.

here's one that I did if you need any reference...just cut the body, cut triangles out of the inner wheel well, extend the wheel well back around 3", and fold the inner wheel well over the edge of the body then weld it back together. that's a 33" tire with something like 2" bastard pack lift

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

more pics

yours doesn't look bad...I'd just finish it out.

The plan was to have the flare cover it so even if it looked bad, nobody would know. Unfortunatly it came out more or less not as functional as I'd like. And the only thing I did wrong was I needed to use some 2 or 2.5" flat bar instead of 1".

Bah. I might do some major surgery on it instead. Jeepco's method looks like fun.