Camera Phone Dummy Question

Eagle

Please help out a technology-challenged senior citizen here. I have an LG camera phone (Verizon, phone is about a year old, I guess). At this point, no supplemental memory card. Instructions tell me how to take pictures. I can't see any port with which to connect to a computer to transfer the pics to the hard drive (or CD, or ___).

What am I missing? If I want to be able to actually DO anything with pics on the camera phone, do I have to buy a supplemental memory card so I can plug it into a card reader on the computer?

You could get a memory card to transfer them on to and then put them on your computer, now they are relatively cheap so it shouldn't be too bad.

another way to do it would be to e-mail each pic to yourself (long time and could get expensive)

the other way is you would have to get a cable to connect you phone to your computer (plug into phone is usually either a 4 or 5 pin mini usb) then get some software like bitpim to transfer the files over. for more information on that check out www.howardforums.com the have a whole bunch of information on mobile phones

Hope this helps ya out.

Jonathan

I think I have the same one. I had to buy a card that fits into another card that goes into my laptop.

I also take a picture, save it, and then send that picture to my email.

Then I open up my email, save that picture to my documents and load it to photobucket and then on here.

Yeah, the camera takes a micro-SD card, and Wal-Mart has those with two adapters to fit different readers and devices. But they want $25 or $30 for the only size they have, and I'm not sure it's worth it to me for the once or twice in my life I might decide to use the camera feature in the phone.

I can't believe they put the camera there with NO provision for getting the pictures out. But I can't see any port for a mini-USB connector. That's what I was looking for -- I already have that cable on the computer, from a "real" digital camera. That would have been a slam dunk ... which of course means there's no way it could possibly be that easy.

I just do a picture text to my email. No cables just send it to my email instead of a number. You do get a extra charge for it if you don't have the plan though.

Oh yeah one more thing photobucket lets you text the picture straight to your account if you choose.

What model? I have an LG phone came with USB cable. Seems kind of strange to give you a camera and no way to download/upload from your computer.

It's an LG model UX8300.

Yes, I agree, it is counterintuitive that there doesn't seem to be a way to transfer pictures. That's why I think I'm overlooking something that should be obvious.

Where does that USB cable plug into yours?

...the other way is you would have to get a cable to connect you phone to your computer (plug into phone is usually either a 4 or 5 pin mini usb) then get some software like bitpim to transfer the files over. for more information on that check out www.howardforums.com the have a whole bunch of information on mobile phones

Hope this helps ya out.

Jonathan

x2 i have used bitpim as well and i know for a fact that it works well for the juke phones. the phone companies want you to purchase there stuff and at a high $$ rate you can download bitpim for free :brows: i know that some may have issues like the motorolas good luck :cheers: btw if you don't have the mini usb cable that will only be the cost to ya

The cable is of no use if there isn't a port into which to plug it. I've examined the phone yet again, as well as finding an instruction book for an LG 8100 camera phone on the Internet (very similar model), and I cannot find any evidence that there's a port. I may be forced to buy the micro SD card.

The cable is of no use if there isn't a port into which to plug it. I've examined the phone yet again, as well as finding an instruction book for an LG 8100 camera phone on the Internet (very similar model), and I cannot find any evidence that there's a port. I may be forced to buy the micro SD card.

How do you charge the phone? Its very likely the same port!! ESP if its a mini USB, like on my Razor.

Personally I don't use my cell for pics like that, Quality is no where near as good as even a cheap digi camera. BUT the couple times I have I also just Email them to my puter @ home.

CW

How do you charge the phone? Its very likely the same port!! ESP if its a mini USB, like on my Razor.

Charger plugs into the bottom, just like the photo in LW's post.

Is that both ends of the USB cable? I just figured that was the power cable because that's where my charger plugs in. I had no idea it was a dual purpose port. Doesn't even mention that in the instructions.

Thanks, Chico, but this phone uses a Micro SD. The ones at Wal-Mart come with two adapters, one for Mini SD and one for "standard SD, so if I get it at least I'll be able to stick in my card reader.

Charger plugs into the bottom, just like the photo in LW's post.

Is that both ends of the USB cable? I just figured that was the power cable because that's where my charger plugs in. I had no idea it was a dual purpose port. Doesn't even mention that in the instructions.

One end will plug into your phone using what ever jack/plug the manufacturer chose to use and the other will likely be a USB jack. Yes it most def is multi purpose!! If you where to use a wired head set it too would plug in the same plug!

Try a search on Ebay for the cable, I was able to get them for past phones very cheaply.

CW

I stumbled onto a better solution (for me, anyway). I was surfing to buy a couple more of the memory card reader I have, to use with a couple of notebook computers, and the place that had the best price on the reader also had a micro SD card with adapter for $5.99 -- that's a LOT cheaper than Wal-Mart. For that price I ordered one.

Thanks for all the suggestions