Dana 44 Diff Skid/Cover

I give you props for wanting to build your own cover.

However even with a "rock ring" or similar your still running the factory thin cover under it. With that type of setup I can't say how many times I've seen someone catch their diff on something more often simply for the fact they have that on there.

Full replacement diff covers are cheap and offer greater protection; not to mention your much less likely to get hung up with one. Some of them (Crane/Riddler) even are seamless and you won't ever get cought on something with one.

If you want some idea's for a "bolt on over your existing cover" setup check out the Warn and Zone one's; http://motionoffroad.com/catalog/index. ... &cPath=129

The Bluetorch Fabs is what I did. I also added a tab at the top of it that attaches to a limiting strap. I can have pictures by tomorrow.

Did you get the DIY cover or prefabbed? For what axle(s)? I would like to see the pictures either way.

I have a couple different setups.

I have the B.T.F. on my 8.8 in the TJ. The freakin thing is bullet proof!!! I bought it assembled in the "white". Its the BEST, most durable, I have seen.

Also, Crane is supposed to also be a good one, but persoanlly, I haven't seen one on any rigs I wheel with. Based on what I have read about them, I wouldnt be afraid to try one.

I also have a couple difff "Football Fase Mask" guards. These have also proved to be very durable.

Lastly I picked up a Currie "Rock Ring" used a year or so back. I havent had the MJ out in at least that long, so all I can tell you is there isnt a curb that will dent it. :roll: ;) (Or even reach it for that matter. :D )

CW

I give you props for wanting to build your own cover.

However even with a "rock ring" or similar your still running the factory thin cover under it. With that type of setup I can't say how many times I've seen someone catch their diff on something more often simply for the fact they have that on there.

Full replacement diff covers are cheap and offer greater protection; not to mention your much less likely to get hung up with one. Some of them (Crane/Riddler) even are seamless and you won't ever get cought on something with one.

If you want some idea's for a "bolt on over your existing cover" setup check out the Warn and Zone one's; http://motionoffroad.com/catalog/index. ... &cPath=129

I am currently on the road with my job, and am only home on weekends. So I have lots of time to kill here in Salem. I have nothing to do and all the fabrication tools I would ever need (as far as Jeep projects go). I can have whatever steel I want for free. I have a SOLID diff cover up front and the stock cover out back. It would be nice to have something back there but a $100+ cover is lower on my priorites list than a few other things. Not to mention that I would rather build a part for my MJ than buy one. ("Jeeps are built not bought")

Having said that, I started it today. It's quite the project to build a ring that fits perfectly over a diff cover. It would probably be easier if we would have had our plasma cutter, but oh well. The ring itself or base is done, and if I get off early enough tomorrow I'll finish it.

I'll post pics when I'm done but i have no way to take pictures until I get home Friday night.

Once I get my gears broken in, and go to change the fluid, I am going to make my own using 1/4 plate and a spare stock cover... Bascially a rock ring style setup.

I too had the BTF cover for my 8.8... my only issue was the 12 point bolts the use.. man once you mangle them its a PITA to get them off :oops:

pingpong - Do you have any trouble with the weird dimples on the 8.8?

It looks like the BTF cover isnt cut out where those dimples are and they could get caked with mud or worse get hung up on a rock and start prying the cover.

The ruffstuff cover has these dimple things cut out on there cover:

Ford%2088%20cover%202%2017%2008.jpg

8.8%20cover%20in%20use.jpg

Or am I being too anal?

pingpong - Do you have any trouble with the weird dimples on the 8.8?

It looks like the BTF cover isnt cut out where those dimples are and they could get caked with mud or worse get hung up on a rock and start prying the cover.

The ruffstuff cover has these dimple things cut out on there cover:

Ford%2088%20cover%202%2017%2008.jpg

8.8%20cover%20in%20use.jpg

Or am I being too anal?

The Ruff Stuff cover has the cut outs, but they don't exactly line up. :shake:

Willy

Thats too bad... You'd think they would be able to line those up in this day and age with all of the precision measuring equipment that is available...

Either way, the ruffstuff cover is much cheaper than the BTF cover and looks alittle beefier too. I think i might be finally getting a cover for my 8.8 (after 3 years of running the stock one with no problems!).

Thanks for the photo Willy :cheers:

go_blazers6 hows the cover fab coming? I'm interested to see the photos!

Thats too bad... You'd think they would be able to line those up in this day and age with all of the precision measuring equipment that is available...

Either way, the ruffstuff cover is much cheaper than the BTF cover and looks alittle beefier too. I think i might be finally getting a cover for my 8.8 (after 3 years of running the stock one with no problems!).

I've heard several problems with the RuffStuff covers fitting. So bad to the extent that guys were having to re-drill holes to get them to align properly. Maybe Dan @ RuffStuff has resolved the issue now; I dunno...

Here is another alternative to the "cheap" 8.8" cover. In stock, lifetime warranty, trusted name, and under $100 to your door.

http://motionoffroad.com/catalog/index. ... cts_id=311

Motion - you don't have a picture of one of them 8.8 rockkrusher's mounted up do you?

Oh and I searched "hustler" on the forum and your name came up...odd... ;)

Willy - did you experience any alignment problems with your cover?

Motion - you don't have a picture of one of them 8.8 rockkrusher's mounted up do you?

Oh and I searched "hustler" on the forum and your name came up...odd... ;)

What's even Odd'er... I did a Google for "hustler" and came up with a bunch of Pr0n... hmmm...

I like the Crane/Riddler look vs the Solid/Rockcrusher, but not sure if I get a vote...

Willy - did you experience any alignment problems with your cover?

Yes, the alignment was very off on mine. I had to redrill several of the holes to get it to fit. :roll:

If I did it again I would get a Riddler cover. That's what I have on the front. I really wanted the Riddler cover for the 8.8 in the first place, but they weren't production ready when I needed one.

Willy