transfer case blues

Here is my story sad but ture.

My Tcase went bad and made a bunch of racket didnt have the time to do

the swap my self at the moment since i initially thought that the throwout bearing was the culprit. So off the cottman trans. they have informed me that the clutch needed to be replaced and if i don't repair/replace the tcase i'll have to do another clutch job again. Here my question Can i use a tcase from a aw4 auto 94 and up or do i stick with ax-15 tcases only.

I'll have to go to the JY saturday and see what's avail. I'll rebuild the other later. just need a quick turn around on this. :cheers:

after using the search engine :brows: I believe that the switch over years for this t-case 91+ for the aw4/ax-15 so hunting i'll go and here is the post that i have got the information from

[list=]t-case spline count ?

I'm not getting to work but here it is anyway

They changed the spline counts on the TC's when they did away with the Renix (1990 (ish)). If you have a pre 1990 Jeep you'll need to find a TC out of a pre 1990 Jeep as well. The early models have 21 spline, the later models had 23 spline.

The TC (242/231) is interchangeable among trannies. So no, they are not tranny specific.

How did the t-case make the clutch go bad?

Easy answer..........He took it to Cottman Transmission

:teehee:

Motion is spot on, on his answer :thumbsup:

You need to match what year your Transmission is, to get the correct output / input spline count.

I don't think it did. Sounds like they are trying to scare him into spending alot of money at their shop

You need to match what year your Transmission is, to get the correct output / input spline count.

i have been here the chatter for a while which i suspect it to the throwout and also notice that as the chatter got worst there was some resistance this was the orig tc that was changed to fit the ax-15(94) 5yrs ago which i could have mess up from swapping 21 to 23 spline. and btw you have to trust somebody sometimes

so back at u wildman :rotf:

thanks a bunch for the offer mj87jeff as u know the lawn notzees around here frown upon that kindof stuff i can take it to the base and have it done there...btw if i can't get one i let you know and make arrangements just to pic it up and i'll toss you some beer just for the hell of

:cheers:

Well......I was referring to what camjeep3 wrote :yes:

Chatter could also be from the flywheel having hot spots, we covered this some time ago.

The chatter would show up when you pulling off a dead stop, in 1st gear or reverse.......I have it on my DD, only because I didn't change the flywheel last year when I dropped a clutch plate in :roll:

And your right.......some times we have to trust others, but we all know, that some of "them" places try to go for the gold when some one pulls in there shop :rant: