possible

ok so i finally found my donor jeep for my 86 2.5 2wd 4 speed. the donor is a 89 cherokee Laredo 4x4 4.0. this should work right? i want the engine, axels, tranny, everything. all that crap should just swap right in right?

let me know

Yes and no. If you have an early 86, the engine compartment was different and you will need to make some minor mods to get the 4.0 in there. From what I hear a BFH will do the trick. :D Another thing is that the front piece between the frame under the radiator will need modded to accomdate the 4.0 radiator. Later 86s started coming with the different engine compartment setup for the introduction of the 4.0 in 87. I think this is all, someone else chime in if I forgot anything.

:cheers:

Only thing you'll probably need is a new rear driveshaft, lengths will be different.

Oh, and MAKE SURE THE FRONT AND REAR RATIOS ARE THE SAME.

If you have to use the XJ rear axle, you will need to be cutting and welding perches.

Also, as I hope you are aware, the spring perches on an XJ rear axle don't match up to the MJ chassis. The MJ is spring-under-axle, the XJ is spring over. Even if you plan to lift by doing a spring-over conversion, the spacing on the XJ percehes isn't right and will have to be adjusted.