Over Heated now water in oil

Help ME PLease!!! ok here is the problem, i recently got a MJ given to me from a fustrated owner at first i thought it was just a fuel pump issue and a few little things like pressure tank and broken speedometer cable... easy fixes right? ya right!!! lol ok it ended up i just needed a new fuel tank DONE! then the pressure bottle it was on itsa way when i decided to take the MJ to the Wreckers 40min away well it went fine there but it over heated upon arival no problem just add H2O ya right!! well i decided to try to get it home and i made it 3 hrs later because many stops to add H2O any how i parked it untill today when the New pressure tank arrived and i installed it and burped the system just like in threads here!!! i am still having troubles but i think the waterpump is shot or maybe even a new radatior!!! after doing all this i decided to check my oil as i did a change the first day i received it and all was fine then but today after trying to install and burp the system i some how got water into my oil dose anyone have an idea as to what may have happened is it the head gasket or did i crack a head when it overheated? Please any help would be great! :Canadaflag:

Pretty much the only way you can get water in the oil is a blown headgasket, or a cracked block/head. Hope for the former. Do a compression test, and it should tell you where the problem is.

Don't fret too much if it's the head gasket, they're relatively easy to do if you have a good torque wrench.

well here is the findings of my compression test

cyl#1 125

2 110

3 50

4 90

5 125

6 145

so after finding this i tore the head off ( a first for me) and to my delight i found a few holes in the head gasket!!!! :eek: ok so now i guess i will clean everything completely and put in all new gaskets and finally get to use my xmas present from last year ( torq wrench) jamminz.gif Is there any other thing i should be aware of or precautions i should take ? also what is the best cleaner for cleaning up the head? also should i remove the oil pan and clean it completely or can i just drain it and move on?

thanks guys !!

You should probably pop it off anyway and clean it out since you're doing the extra work. Just make sure you torque the headbolts down in the proper incriments and in the right pattern. It's never a bad idea to get new head bolts. I know some people never remove the head without replacing them.

Check closely on the surface where the block and head meet, check for trails the coolant may have left if it was going on for a long time.

Yeah just from the numbers you can tell you've got a problem between 3 and 4.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok i finally received my gasket and will be reinstalling the head this weekend.. yes i did have it checked by a machine shop and all is well. what i want to know now is there anything i need to know besides the torq setting and patteren? should i use RTV on the head gasket? any other hints tips or suggestions would be helpful to me as this is my first time inside an engine! :cheers:

thanks to all that have replied and also to those who will through in there advice also! :bowdown:

ok i finally got the time to reinstall the head with new gaskets and i was following the torq sequence and recomended specs as per my manual and as i was torqing down the 3rd bolt (in sequence) on my forth time around (22lbs, 45lbs, 45lbs, 110lbs) 110lbs """SNAP""" there goes a head bolt :mad: So i call my favorite parts man and they have no listings for these so i go to another parts shop and same thing, they both recomended the dealer so i decided why not try well guess how much a complete set of head bolts run from the dealer here in Canada hold on to your hats $410 for 14 bolts :mad: Now i am pissed i go to my local watering hole and have a cold one to cool down and think then i got talking to a guy at the bar :cheers: and he suggested to try the machine shop across the street.... well low and behold they can get me the bolts and this time for $49 for the whole set of 14... all i can say is watch out for :Canadaflag: CANADIAN Dealers as they will rob you blind or maybe its just the tax for living here in gods country :bowdown: lol

OK now one question can any one verify the torq settings for the 4.0 head of a 88 MJ?

I torqued them on my 88 to 105 and had no problems with it. The truck did have overheating problems after, but they were there before and unrelated to the head.

You should probably pop it off anyway and clean it out since you're doing the extra work. Just make sure you torque the headbolts down in the proper incriments and in the right pattern. It's never a bad idea to get new head bolts. I know some people never remove the head without replacing them.

Warned ya :P I've known of many issues with them stretching after re-using, but not breaking during installation.

Sucks that it broke on you. I re-used them when I did the headgasket on my 88, luckily I didn't break any.