Non C-Clip Axle into C-Clip housing

I came across a 4cyl cherokee and went crazy to get the axle carriers and I didn't realize that the thing was an 84 so it has the non c clip axles. So once I got there I was too stubborn to go home empty handed so I pulled everything any way and was wondering if this will work coming out of a D35 into a D35C

For what it's worth, the "C" in Dana 35C doesn't stand for C-clip. It stands for "custom". Apparently Chrysler was ordering incomplete axles from Dana and that's how Dana was labeling them. Or something like that.

The tubes are different diameters

How? Both are 2.62" tubes and both have 1.18" diameter shafts inside those tubes.

Yes but there still in no flange to bolt the axle in .

Also true. Bottom line: they are not interchangible. Whoopee, we're all correct. :cheers:

I've set up gears with replacement parts. like stock ratio using parts that I bought for that app. I might be overthinking and I have never set up gears in a jeep so I don't know first hand what the D35C carrier looks like. So really with these questions I'm trying to save me some time by not pulling it apart to see that I can't do it. I know what to look for but with as many crazy swaps you can find on the internet you never know.

I'll rephrase my question. On a D35C are the spider gears recessed for the C clips or does it use the same carrier as the non cliped. Has anyone tried this before. And if you have what did you find out.

I have a 3.07 stock gear ratio now. There's a Mud bog this weekend and I was hoping to weld some spiders and snap an axle then get it home and go on with life.

The tubes are different diameters

How? Both are 2.62" tubes and both have 1.18" diameter shafts inside those tubes.

Well, since you asked so nicely, I'll tell you. ;) I don't mean different axle tube diameters between the "C" and non "C". I mean different diameters along one tubes length. Is another way to ID the "C" from the NON "C".

More specifically, the "C" is straight tube from pumpkin to backing plate. No flairs or increases or decreases in diameter. The outer bearing is in the housing.

Image Not Found

While the NON "C" housing flairs up at the backing plates. As the bearings are slightly different between the two. The outer bearing is pressed onto the shaft and retained by 4 bolts at the backing plate.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

CW