front ball joint instal instructions

So it turns out my front ball joints need to be replaced, and my repair manual just tels me I need a special tool so i should bring it to a shop.

well thats just not how i like to do things.

I need detailed instructions for replacing front ball joints in a dana 30 front axle on a 1989 Comanche Pics and instructions would be great.

thanks for the help. :bowdown:

holy smoke better have a whole day for that and a case of beer :cheers:

Two hours tops using a cheap steel ball joint press and some assorted 3/4" drive sockets.

Don't heat the knuckles like th MadXJ write-up shows. Strike the ends of the knuckles on the backside where the joints go threw the knuckle.

If you are doing ball joints you should check the axle u-joints and replace them also if they are old or in poor shape. I also recommend Spicer parts be used.

I would defiately do both sides. I am having mine done in the next few weeks. I got u-joints for both sides also and I got moog uppers and lowers for both sides. I was gonna try it myself but my mechanic said he would do all of it for $150 so i am just gonna have him do it.

My truck is also an 89

U-joints are 260X for spicers

Moog ball joints are part# 3134 for upper and 3137 for lower. Rockauto is the best prices i found for the moog ball joints and ok4wd.com has good prices on the u-joints.

My mechanic quoted me $640.00 labor + $106.00 for balljoints both sides upper and lower so $746.00 pluss whaterver U joints cost :eek:

So that means 2 things

#1 I need a new mechanic

#2 I'm going to rent the tool and do it all my self. which solves #1 I nominate myself to be new mechanic forever :D

my cost- 25.99 moog upper and lower ball joints

u joints ?? havent checked yet

cube of beer for the help 16.00

$104.00 ball joints tool if free after i return it I just have to pay a deposit

120+u joints :cheers:

Where did you find moog ball joints for $26? If it is the ebay site they are not moog even tho the site says they are. They are omix ada ball joints. I sent them an email about it and reported them to ebay. Its gonna cost you about $90 for the uppers and $70 for the lowers. $30 apiece for the u-joints form ok4wd.com

Sorry my mistake the brand is master pro which is O'Reilly Auto Parts brand they have a lifetime warrenty and are identical to moog

On a part like ball joints spend the money on good ones. The warranty is great but do you really want to do the job again next year? Id rather buy the moogs and know they will last probally as long as the jeep

I understand money can be tight. But remember, when them cheapies go bad you will have to spend MORE money on the ones you should have bought in the first place. THEN the hassle of doing the hole job over again...

Just trying to help you benefit form YEARS of experience doing things twice... :eek: :roll:

CW

I agree that now is the time to spend the money on the nice ones. After doing this job you will not regret the few extra bucks you dropped, because you will never want to do it again.

I did mine this past winter and did the wheel bearings and front axle U-joints which were terrible, so you might check those while you are in there. My father in law who is a mechanic said that if you have trouble getting the new ones in you can shave just a hair off of them on the bench grinder. I have never had to do it, but I can't imagine with the amount of weight on them that they would ever come out, I mean they are still going to be incredibly tight in there.

Before you install the new ones, place them in the freezer a night or two before you install them. they will slip in alot easier and make your life alot nicer. Same holds true for control arm bushings and the like. A really old man told me this trick a long time ago and it has never let me down yet.

Before you install the new ones, place them in the freezer a night or two before you install them. they will slip in alot easier and make your life alot nicer. Same holds true for control arm bushings and the like. A really old man told me this trick a long time ago and it has never let me down yet.

Yup, the racing shop I used to work at sleeved our blocks in this manner. We put the blocks in an oven for a few hours set on 450 and put the sleeves in coolers packed with dry ice then they slide right in.

So I was told not to cheep out on ball joints and to buy moog. So what did I do. Thats right I cheeped out and am now paying for it. I bought McQuay-Norris Ball Joints For 29.99 a piece and you guessed it they don't fit right. so I am returning the cheep ones and i have moogs on order they will be in on Monday. So a word from the Not-So-Wise listen to those wiser than you and don't be a cheep skate because you will pay :oops: :bowdown: