AAL are to long

No the leaf they sent me is the shortest one so it shoud go on the bottom. the problem is that the leaf doesnt fit inbetween the stock leaf clamps that hold the stock leaf pack together. To make it work I would have to take the stock spring pack appart and drill a hole in the aal so the clamps would go around it and fit right. The rough country guy that I talked to on the phone told me that with the kit I bought I would not have to take the stock spring pack apart. he said it should be short enough to fit without modification to the original spring pack.

You don't want to use an AAL that's so short it fits between the stck leaf clamps. It will have to be VERY stiff, and it's going to concentrate a lot of stress in the other leaves right at the tips of the AAL. It's a VERY poor solution.

I don't mind doing AALs, but the only way to go is full-length AAL (IMHO)

BTW, this sounds tech-ish, so I'm moving it to Tech

The shorter springs that rough country makes for comanche are made to go right up the the clamp but not overlap it so the are only like 2.5 inches shorter than the ones they sent me. :eek: Well now I don't know what I should do. plus the rear is like 4" lifted when is only a 3" lift???

tons of pics just need to figure out how to put them on the site. and I'm at work so it won't be till tonight anyway. My mj is a 1989 jeep comanche pioneer 4.0l inline six with a 7' bed with a "Big Ton" package. Does anybody know anything about the big ton package because my local jeep dealer doesnt know anything.

tons of pics just need to figure out how to put them on the site. and I'm at work so it won't be till tonight anyway. My mj is a 1989 jeep comanche pioneer 4.0l inline six with a 7' bed with a "Big Ton" package. Does anybody know anything about the big ton package because my local jeep dealer doesnt know anything.

If you have the big ton or metric ton package, you have the heavy duty 5-leaf springs, especially if you have the three thin leafs on top and two thicker overload springs on the bottom. The AAL kit you ordered is most likely for the standard 4-leaf springs, that's why it doesn't fit.

Taz wrote up a how-to on posting pics:

http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11077

Available on longbeds only, the Big Ton package gives the MJ a payload of about 2200 pounds, with unique heavy duty springs front and rear (4+1 leaf packs in the early years, 5+1 in the later), heavy duty shocks, the Dana 44 rear (AMC-20 in 86) and they came with 15x7 steel rims and a fullsize spare. Anything in particular that you'd like to find out? :D

The AAL kit you ordered is most likely for the standard 4-leaf springs, that's why it doesn't fit.

Sounds plausible to me.

I think the same thing as hornbrod as far as why the springs don't fit plus I think its a cheroke aal however to take the skinny three spring pack apart and put a aal in there would be difficult w/o a torch because the clamps are 1/4" steel and rivited to the bottom spring or thats what it looks like anyway. As to what I would like to know about the big ton package is is it better or worse than a comanche w/o it?

I think the same thing as hornbrod as far as why the springs don't fit plus I think its a cheroke aal however to take the skinny three spring pack apart and put a aal in there would be difficult w/o a torch because the clamps are 1/4" steel and rivited to the bottom spring or thats what it looks like anyway. As to what I would like to know about the big ton package is is it better or worse than a comanche w/o it?

Having the Big or Metric Ton package is a very desirable option. I put new 3+2 big ton leaf packs on my rig and got a 3" lift. What I want to know is why you want an AAL on the big ton springs? For lift? Why not use a lift shackle?

well as far as an aal idk it just seemed like the best option at the time as far as just buying a kit that lifted both ends. I guess it was just the way it turned out I have no reasons. I guess I could have just lifted the front and left the back alone besides new shocks.

Pete and Eagle are giving it to you straight. Longer is better! :D ;)

Think about it a bit if everything is the same longer allows for more leverage to be applied to the leaf, so it moves easier right? Short would get less and be harder to move, get it?

Also if its IS a XJ AAL its not going to net you what its advertised to. XJ leafs have more arch and are overall shorter than the MJ.

CW

YUP... :cry: Thinking one thing typing another... :oops: My bad.

XJ springs tend to be very flat and they are spring over. MJ's tend to have MORE arch and they are spring under.

I have a set of RE long AAL's for a XJ in 3" lift flavor. I am hoping to add them to my Rusty's 4" pack and get some "haul ability" from that bed of mine... The Rusty's pack doesn't have any kind of overload leaf at the bottom. Not complaining, it flexes VERY well and wasn't designed for carrying weight.

CW

You don't need a torch. You don't have to remove the rivet. Take out the bolts through the top of the clamps, and there's enough room to fit an additional leaf into the pack. If you have to, you can take a rat-tail file and elongate the holes in the vertical legs of the clamps just a bit.

Oops -- just looked closer at your photo. My springs are different from yours. What I would do is un-bend the tops of those clamps so the sides are just vertical. Built the AAL into the pack, then drill through the tops of the clamps and run a through bolt from one side to the other.

I guess I don't, but I have it so I might as well put it on right?? plus rough country has already shipped me the other leafs so I guess Ill see what they send me. when I called them they said they sent me the wrong ones anyway so idk suppose ill see