Fender Flares

My 89 mj jst got painted today. I' ll soon develope my film to post some pics. Its red and I didn't want the flares painted red. I wanted them left black, however, I wasn't there through half of the painting and my dad painted them black. What would your opinion be about a red truck with the flares painted black instead just leaving them the reg color? I know the front flares for an xj will fit, but what about the rear? Or should I just leave them the painted black. Thanks

The flares are normally black, no...?

If it's a huge problem, you could probably remove the paint with tail-strip or tal-strip or whatever that crap is. Just ask for 'aircraft stripper' in a parts store. It probably won't destroy the plastic, as usually it doesn't in my experience of applying it to way too many things.

Or, a set of front flares off an XJ and rear flares off another MJ would work.

The wheel flairs for the rear are only for the MJ, and they are handed, left or right. There are no other 'stock' wheel flairs that will just bolt up to the rear wheel wells. XJ's are not even close to size, and many topics have been posted about this.

As far as color, most all the Sportruck models I've seen have Black wheel flairs, and most Pioneer models have body color painted flairs.

I would say.......leave them for now, and latter, if you really want the body color, or some other color (Purple) rough them up and paint them the color you want, right over the black.

Well....you got black flares, which is what you wanted...right? The only problem is that you wanted them the natural unpainted black as I read it. I personally don't see the painted black as a big deal, but if it bothers you then do as suggested and get some stripper and clean them up ;) :cheers: .

Painted flares have a tendency to chip, crack, scratch, etc. At least that's what I hear. So I can understand why he wouldn't want them painted. Personally I'd rock them and see what happens. If they've got the right paint on them they should last a long time.

My truck had painted flares when I got it (still has 2 1/2 of them). When the po hit a deer at 55 mph, smashing up among other parts both front fenders, one flare got bent enough for some of the paint to flake off. I guess the flares can flex more than the paint does. The other 3 flares still looked fine.

I'm pretty sure this truck had been repainted at least once in it's life, so I have no clue if that paint was original or not, or what kind of paint was used.

There is an additive for automotive paint that going to be applied to bumper covers, flares, and such semi-flexible parts. I don't know if there's a technical name for it. The paint shop I buy from just calls it "flex additive" and everyone seems to know what that is, so I guess that's close enough.

Yeah, without the additive any flexing at all of the flares will leave cracks in the paint.