Headliner options

Since my MJ is missing it's headliner, and I don't have the extra $109 to spend right now. I was wondering if there is a cheap alternative that won't look to cheap. The truck is going to be the wife's dd for a while and with the bare steel roof, it's kinda loud.

The main problem your running into is getting the backer board, the cover you can pick up at Jo-ann's Fabric, or at Wal-mart.

I guest if you can get your hands on some heavy duty cardboard, like a frig box, you could form up a backer board, but the way the OEM backer board is "formed" and curved........that's the problem. I know, you can't afford it now, but I don't see spending a hugh amount of time trying to make a backer board over buying one all ready made up, and covered.

Or.......try to find one in a junk yard that just needs new fabric on it ;)

True.......I have both in the shop, and compared the two, the way the back is tightly curved, it would be a tough challenge, but possible.

Yea, a XJ could be a better hit and miss than making a cardboard backer.

Get some carpeting and glue it to the roof. J/K

I had thought about other options as well since the backing on my headliner had crumbled around the edges. Didn't come up with any good ideas. I've been running without a headliner for a few weeks.

There is an eBay store that offers a new MJ headliner, backing and all for $125 or so. I had been thinking about this option.

On a whim, I took my old backing to a local upholstery shop. The guy said that he could repair the backing and re-cover it for $100. I'm actually supposed to pick it up today. I'm anxious to see how it turned out.

Yeah, I think your best option would be to try to find one in a junkyard.

Since my MJ is missing it's headliner, and I don't have the extra $109 to spend right now. I was wondering if there is a cheap alternative that won't look to cheap. The truck is going to be the wife's dd for a while and with the bare steel roof, it's kinda loud.

I see you say you don't want to buy one. Do you have a link to where they can be bought? I don't have the time or patience to make one right now, and mine is missing entirely as well.

Of course having it reupholstered or is new one is the best way to go, but if you are like me that $100 is more important somewhere else. I think outside of that, I would find one from a cherokee and just roll with it. Or maybe even find one from another pickup i.e. daktoa. I don't know if it would help, but alot of people are telling me thatsome of the parts from a dakota will fir with little mods. It may or maynot be worth a shot. Good luck bud.

First time poster long time watcher.

Bobwiser, I have two MJ and am making one good one of the two. I think they both have a usable headliner board and if they are both good you can have one. Anything to help out a fellow Yooper. I live by St Louis now and it is at 100 deg today but will look about the headliners and get back to you in a couple days.

What part of the UP are you in? I was born and raised in Wakefield but have cousins every where up there. I may be going to Iron Mountain the weekend after next and might be able to bring it.

Butch

For those of you fortunate enough to have an intact backer board, you can buy the headliner material in Pep Boys along with a can of adhesive for about 20 bucks. If the fabric chain JoAnne Fabrics is in your area, they also sell headliner material. JoAnne Fabrics has a better choice of colors and their material is heavier than Pep Boys.