welding on a rear axle?

so i was welding brackets on my rear axle for my 4 link and the welds would not hold the axle is all bare steel, i need help what should i do to get it to hold, heat the axle up before welding the brackets on or what?

thanks for the help

so i was welding brackets on my rear axle for my 4 link and the welds would not hold the axle is all bare steel, i need help what should i do to get it to hold, heat the axle up before welding the brackets on or what?

thanks for the help

please take no offense to what I'm posting.

take it to a professional, or have a professional do it. if you have attempted and cannot make it work as of yet, it is absolutely not a project that a first-timer should do.

you have the problem that either your welder is too small, or improperly adjusted and you are not heating the metal enough (remember, that's THICK metal you're welding it too so it needs to be HOT), OR you are attempting to weld to cast. you should rely on a pro to do so.

no offense taken but I'm ICAR certified welder

but is the D35 rear end tubes cast or just really thick steel?

it's the thick steel. it should be red hot all the way around the welds by the time you're done welding...you need good penetration.

I'm no welder, but I've done several axles and more to come tomorrow with my dad (this means he welded after I prepped and did measuring then tac-welded... :roll: ). he's a diesel mechanic with no real certifications to speak of but if it's mechanical, he's 99.99% capable of doing it...and he welds EXTREMELY well.

red hot prior to welds will help, don't warp it though and obviously don't cut it if you heat it with a torch.

a really good welder would do the trick though.

Nothing special required to weld to tubes on a D35.

Center sections is where special pre/post heat tech are required, as well as hi nickel rods but this is not required on the tubes.

I have done perches/shock mounts many times with a 230V MIG @ work as well as my Lincoln buzz box @ home. I will only trust my Lil 115V MiG for tack welds to hold position as Jeep-co also mentions.

CW

no offense taken but I'm ICAR certified welder

but is the D35 rear end tubes cast or just really thick steel?

If you are certified you would know why your welds were not holding. To me not seeing the welds or knowing the machine you are using... your heat is down too low, or the machine isnt big enough to weld what you want to weld.

If you heat the tubes to red hot.. you might have problems controlling the weld.

well i got the brakets welded on i had a really bad night that nite the next day i went through and checked ever thing over and had polariaties switch for gas less wire (can't think of what the wire is called right now)

whoa whoa whoa...

that lincoln 115 is too small to weld properly to an axle. you won't get enough heat to properly penetrate...

It can be done, but like you said... Things are scary here.

(For how you actually do that, you have to bevel the edge of the bracket and grind a slight groove into the axle where you wish to weld it. Then you make 4 or 5 passes. Time consuming, but acceptable.)