sensors- coolant temperature

OK, as I collect parts and read on my engine swap before the day is here, I noticed there are two very similar temperature sensors, one on top, and one on the side of the intake manifold of the 2.5L. Are they the same part? I'm replacing all sensors when I do this swap, so there will be (I HOPE) no guesswork when it's time to turn her over!

Thanks!

Tom

Where on the manifold? The coolant temp sensor is in the block next to the valve cover towards the rear of the engine (manifold side)

No, that's the temp sending unit for the gauge or idiot light. These sensors are on the top and side (driver's side) of the intake manifold.

Tom,

The one on the top of the manifold is the MAT sensor, has nothing to do with temp. The one in the side is what feeds info to the ECU. The sensor in the back of the head only sends signal to the gauge (or idiot light) in the cluster.

:cheers:

Jeff

Tom,

The one on the top of the manifold is the MAT sensor, has nothing to do with temp. The one in the side is what feeds info to the ECU. The sensor in the back of the head only sends signal to the gauge (or idiot light) in the cluster.

:cheers:

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff. Any idea what part #? The MAT sensor and the coolant temperature sensor look IDENTICAL, and have the same connector.

:???:

almost the same part # too....

CTS - 3300 2383 (dealership)

TS82451 (aftermarket, Neihoff, $22.99)

MAT - 3300 2382 (dealership)

TS81351 (aftermarket, Neihoff, $35.99)

Careful if you try to swap the MAT, I snapped mine off clean with the manifold surface. I ended up pulling the guts out of it (luckily they didn't fall into the intake) then used a small fluted extractor to back out the threaded part stuck in the manifold. What I expected to be a 10 minute replacement turned into an all-afternoon affair :headpop:

My CTS is still original, and I have to assume it's still working.

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff.

Been there, done that with breaking things off. The whole engine is out, so if there's any problems, I'll have good access. Even got a spare intake!

I bought the MAT online, saw a picture. It's not what I have. Someone just threaded in another CTS! So I've got two. Now I'll have one of each.

Thanks

Tom

Careful if you try to swap the MAT, I snapped mine off clean with the manifold surface. I ended up pulling the guts out of it (luckily they didn't fall into the intake) then used a small fluted extractor to back out the threaded part stuck in the manifold. What I expected to be a 10 minute replacement turned into an all-afternoon affair :headpop:

Jeff

OK now I'm really confused. The cross reference shows a standard ignition part # tx-49. I ordered and got one of these today ($30 shipped) and it looks like the picture below. It doesn't look like the sensor threaded into my manifold! What is this part? Jeff the Niehoff # you gave me has apparently been superceded- - can't find it anywhere. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Tom

tx49802.jpg

Thanks, Jeff.

Been there, done that with breaking things off. The whole engine is out, so if there's any problems, I'll have good access. Even got a spare intake!

I bought the MAT online, saw a picture. It's not what I have. Someone just threaded in another CTS! So I've got two. Now I'll have one of each.

Thanks

Tom

Jeff

• 2 years later...

this is what I have dug up on the sensors etc for my 2.5. I am going to change all of them soon as I'll bet most of them are 25 years old

Sensors

Oxygen Sensor 5300-2106

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part#SG20

Microprocessor 5300-4763

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # EM4763

Throttle Position Sensor 3300-0169

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # TH31

Speed Sensor aka CPS t073-9789

standard PC87T

Colant Temp Sensor 3300-2383

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # TX28

the factory parts pages show these 2 numbers for th 2.5l I can not find replacements for either

Intake Air Sensor 3300-2382 "suposedly Standard ax9"

Intake Air temp sensor 5300-3938 ?????