rear end on the way out

ive noticed lately after driving my truck for a few miles i hear a howl or hum coming from somewhere behind the driver. it only does it when I'm accelerating, as soon as i let off the gas it stops. I'm assuming the d35 is starting to see its last days. its out of a 1990 mj and has around 190k on it and has been turning 31's for that past couple years. does this sound about right? and any estimates on how long it will hum before she blows up if i change the fluid and do my best to stay out of the woods?

ive noticed lately after driving my truck for a few miles i hear a howl or hum coming from somewhere behind the driver. it only does it when I'm accelerating, as soon as i let off the gas it stops. I'm assuming the d35 is starting to see its last days. its out of a 1990 mj and has around 190k on it and has been turning 31's for that past couple years. does this sound about right? and any estimates on how long it will hum before she blows up if i change the fluid and do my best to stay out of the woods?

Any slop in the u-joints?

How are the outer axle bearings?

I would try repacking the bearings, replacing the gear oil with 75W140 synthetic, and adding some moly additive (Google "Mr. Moly") and just drive it. 31s shouldn't kill it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an idiot! when i ran new brake lines i removed the little bracked that holds the line to the axle on the passenger side. went to drain the gear oil today and saw 2 little holes where the screws used to be. now i know where the waters getting. :roll: