why does my coolant temp sensor cause high idle?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could try this, I started this post and then just went ahead and did it. It has solved my issue and I have noticed no problems from running mine like this.

http://comancheclub.com/topic/43807-relocating-cts-to-thermostat-housing/?do=findComment&comment=445431

Can you post a detailed pic of your description.

I will gladly post a pic of the fix I did when it am around my truck again, I'm at beach vacationing right now and will be with my truck again tomorrow after midnight.

In the meantime I will try to describe it as best as I can.

I used a thermostat housing from a 1995 XJ 4.0, it has a threaded port on the drivers side of the housing. This is a different housing than what is on the renix 4.0 but bolts up perfectly (the gaskets are the same the only difference is the threaded port). I then threaded the renix CTS into this threaded port, it's thread was a perfect match. I then extended the wiring from the CTS sensor itself so that I didn't have to modify my factory harness. Took me about 30mins total from start to finish. Super easy and has fixed my problem with fighting my CTS.

Best pic I have at the moment is in the thread I linked it is a picture showing the two housings.

The cylinder head on your 98 motor should be the 0630 casting. The gauge temperature sensor hole is drilled, tapped, and plugged on at least 50% of these castings. Take a look at the left rear on the head and you may find it's there and plugged. If not, the boss will still be there which you can drill and tap as Cruiser mentioned above.

Same sensor I have. My head is not drilled or plugged. I plan on getting another thermostat housing and drilling/tapping it for a second se

Get one from a 91 and up. Already drilled and tapped......

That's what I'm showing, that is a 1990 engine with a 1995 thermostat.

Same sensor I have. My head is not drilled or plugged. I plan on getting another thermostat housing and drilling/tapping it for a second se

Get one from a 91 and up. Already drilled and tapped......

That's what I'm showing, that is a 1990 engine with a 1995 thermostat.

Yep. Recognized it. I wanted to save Mitch the trouble of drilling and tapping...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I haven't had a chance to go to the JY and get a new thermostat housing to drill/tap for the CTS, but I did pull up a picture of the the side of the block from when I was putting my intake/exhaust on. IT looks like I have a spot where the CTS USED to be, but is not drilled/tapped/plugged. Am I mistaken?

The circled one is for the CTS.

The one circled on the left or right?  :laughin:

The one that's threaded!! 

Haha. Thats just it. The one on the left doesn't look to be a plug, and the one on the right doesn't either. Maybe it's coated in gunk, but I'm really not sure that either one is threaded.