Need Help Installing New Radio In 1987 Comanche!

I have the wires correctly hooked up. I have checked for proper voltages on the wires. If the wires are hooked up according to the Comanche wiring diagram and the radio wiring diagram, then nothing turns on. If I plug my orange(constant 12v) to the red wire on my radio and my red(accessory) wire to the yellow wire on my radio then the radio powers up, but it will not save any settings when turned off. 

I have also checked my ground wire to verify a proper ground. It is properly grounded. 

The radio I'm installing is a Pioneer DEH-2400UB. Here is a link to the manual for the radio. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Car/DEH-2400UB_OwnersManual031512.pdf (wiring on page 11)

Here is the wiring for the Comanche. http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/stereodetail/1218.html

Hopefully one of you can help! I've been trying to get this thing right for almost a year!  :fs1:

If you need any more info, just ask!

Thanks!

You need to find an accessory wire, any wire that is on in the run and accessory position, tap into that wire for your red to radio wire.

Any constant wire to yellow radio wire will keep your memory.

Head units draw very little current, amps are another matter all together.

Check your fuses and a test light will become your best friend.

You need to find an accessory wire, any wire that is on in the run and accessory position, tap into that wire for your red to radio wire.

Any constant wire to yellow radio wire will keep your memory.

Head units draw very little current, amps are another matter all together.

Check your fuses and a test light will become your best friend.

Thanks for the info! I have however, found both my constant 12 volt and my accessory wire. This must be a very uncommon problem. No one seems to know quite what's happening. If you think of anything else that could be causing my problems, let me know!

Thanks again.

So I'm guessing you have the yellow on the pioneer hooked up to the Red/White and the red from the pioneer hooked up to the purple/orange?  Did you check the fuses in the fuse panel?  Did you check the wires at the radio?  Did you cut the factory plug off the Jeep or did you buy the proper wire harness for the truck?

This thread shows what the plug should look like from the manufacture.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/need-help-stereo-wiring-please-59219/

This should help you out too.

http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5744/kw/1988%20jeep%20comanche/session/L3RpbWUvMTMxOTkyNTM3Mi9zaWQvMWkyd1RPSGs%3D

Run your own wire to the fuse block.

Apparently you are demanding that something that does  not work must work because some wire schematic says so.

Move on with a new plan.

I'm just saying that when it is hooked up correctly (according to voltages given off by the wire) the radio doesn't work. I just put the schematics on here for you guys to look at (maybe see something I missed). Oh well, not sure what to try next but I guess I'll need to try something  :???:

@JeepDriver and @knever3 I'll check my fuses today. I was under the impression that if a fuse was blown that had something to do with the wiring for the radio that nothing would even power on. 

Sorry if I seem ignorant, I'm still learning about how everything works. 

I checked my fuses and the only one that was blown was the "CLOCK" fuse. I replaced it with another fuse of the same amp level. But nothing has changed. When I wire it correctly, the radio doesn't power on, but when I reverse the accessory wire and constant 12 volt wire, the radio turns on, but does not save settings.

I checked my fuses and the only one that was blown was the "CLOCK" fuse. I replaced it with another fuse of the same amp level. But nothing has changed. When I wire it correctly, the radio doesn't power on, but when I reverse the accessory wire and constant 12 volt wire, the radio turns on, but does not save settings.

Remember your truck is 25 or 30 years old.  Lots of people have worked on the car during that time.  So we do not know the truck electrical system is just like it came from the factory.  What you have been doing is not working.  So, as Jeep Driver told you, move on to another plan.

With the key off, find a hot terminal at the fuse box.  There is your 12 volt supply.  Next find a fresh, direct ground.  Use these two points to power up your radio.  The radio should now power up and function.  If it doesn't there is something wrong with one (or more) of the other wires you have connected to the radio. 

• 2 months later...

Seems like I'm having the same problem as Jordan. I ran a wire from the fuse block to the head unit. Turns on when the key is turned on and turns off when key is off. BUT it's not saving settings. Its resetting everytime you turn it on and off. And when you turn the truck off and turn it back on, you have to manually turn the radio on. I'll be finagling with it tomorrow. Guess I'm looking for that wire that saves memory or whatever.

If the radio doesn't save settings, then whatever you're using as a feed for the memory circuit is not a constant-on feed, but switched by the ignition key. Take that wire and run it directly to something like the clock circuit on the fuse panel.

I put a Pioneer in my '88 MJ and I had no problems, but it was so long ago that I have no recollection of how I wired it.