Baja Comanches

Worlds Fastest Comanche

I was looking for a project to follow the Bonneville Comanche. Baja sounds like a good idea. Comanches have run in the past, here is some information i found on th 2003 race.

Earlier in the season, Dan Fresh took SCORE's Class 7sx at the Henderson 250 in the blistering heat. He was the lone 7sx entry, but his Jeep MJ Comanche still had to go the distance. For the Baja 1000, the temperature was chilly, the distance longer, and included fresh-faced Jr. McNeil, as well as the Baja race course. Dan took on the challenge and went the distance again. Class 7sx was created to include mini or midsize trucks whose engine displacement is past the 3.0L cap of Class Seven. This is good news for owners of Chevy 4.3L V-6s and Jeep 4.0L inline-sixes. Suspension components must remain fairly stock.

I would like to get some informaion on other MJs that have run. This would also require a good size support team. Anybody on the west coast interisted?

Pete M, I'm sure has the specifics... But Comanches have appeared in the Baja races in the past. Including a factory team during the AMC era. I am having an 'old-man' moment right now, but the team was a fairly well known team. Well funded and they did quite well.

DXR motorsport is still around, looks like he races Mitisubshi trucks now. I guess their is no money in racing 20 year old trucks. I wonder if he still has the Comanche?

Hesco has a shop truck that has the Baja stuff on it. Here is a link

http://www.hesco.us/customergallery.asp?action=form&formID=1725&recordID=90227

my plan is to go there in 2010. and prerun. racing is xxxxx. four yrs ago we took a buggy w 10000$. a lot of work. if it was next yr i could be a pit on the coast.

look at jeep speed for the front end and adapt the rear because its a mj :yes:

The second one in the group of 3 has "SRT 4" on the fender. back in the day, when they had the stadium trucks, they were limited to 3L , so Hesco destroked a 4.0L down to 3.0L using a billet crankshaft. It revved to 7,500 rpm no problem. The Baja 7X class is limited to 3.0L That would be an interisting ride.

I was wondering if it made more sense to go with a 2wd and reduce the front end weight, rather than go 4wd and have a heavy front axle and low hanging diff.

I was wondering if it made more sense to go with a 2wd and reduce the front end weight, rather than go 4wd and have a heavy front axle and low hanging diff.

'Tis a question for the ages. Both have their advantages/disadvantages. I imagine it really boils down to the specific race you're running. If it's all high speed and hard-pack, then 2wd should be better. If there are soft or slow spots, than 4wd might come in handy.

'Tis a question for the ages. Both have their advantages/disadvantages. I imagine it really boils down to the specific race you're running. If it's all high speed and hard-pack, then 2wd should be better. If there are soft or slow spots, than 4wd might come in handy.

i agree. if it were me though, i'd build a 4x4.

there are places where 4wheel is to your advantage, but with horsepower and good driving(racing) you can go with 2wheel.

prerunning i like 4wheel. if you break,and you are on a budget, you could be in deepzzzz. 100 miles off road and what do you do if your broken.