Disc brake swap

I have a dilema.. my d44 need all new brakes. It needs drums, brake shoes hardware kit, and wheel cylinders. Before I go spend what I am sure is going to be almost 200 bucks on drum brakes, I was wondering who has done a disc swap on the rear and what parts did they use, and from where if new.

I got my parts from a '98 - or at least thats what I was told by the guy I bought them from - ZJ D35. It went pretty smoothly and I'm pretty satisfied with the results. You can see the process in my build thread, page 6: http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2024

There is a write up on www.madxj.com that I followed very closely to make mine work. So long as you can make the spacer and have access to a press to put the new bearings on, it is pretty easy.

However, you will be ahead money to replace the drum setup that you have. After buying the used disc setup ($215 is what I paid), the new rotors and new ebrake pads, I was well over the amount of money it would have cost to keep the drums. Then you tack on the cost of new axle bearings and it adds up quick...

Of course the other side of the coin is that if you want to do it later on you will have just replaced all of the parts now that you will be getting rid of. - Thats what convinced me to do it and get it done now.

That was the writeup I have been looking at for guidance. I planned on using the late model TJ backing plates, and just redrilling the holes :eek: or at least try. That way you don't have to make the spacer. I just pressed some bearing on.. hoping I can press them back off with out destroying them :nuts: If not... I might just hold off a few weeks.

I'm using ZJ hardware on a MJ d44 and have to agree with $500 MJ. Also, you should be aware that ZJ dust shields are no longer in production. Those were all I lacked and I had to resort to creating my own dust shield. The TJ backing plates can be had from the dealer with the entire parking brake assembly and dust shield already in one piece. About $120 a side though, not including calipers, pads, etc, etc. Oh, and the dealer would not separate the dust shield in spite of it being held to the new style backing plate by only one rivet.

You have to get two Rubicon bearing retainers from the dealer. I paid about $4 each. Then you have to redrill to match the bolt pattern on the axle flange.

After that, it's pretty much a bolt-on affair.