gage cluster removal problem

i notice there was a clip in the speedo cable in the 89, on the 86 it just slipped on and off pretty easily. like eagle said, i don't think there is a bolt.

use a flat head to pop out the wiring plugs if you haven't already popped those out yet.

i notice there was a clip in the speedo cable in the 89, on the 86 it just slipped on and off pretty easily. like eagle said, i don't think there is a bolt.

use a flat head to pop out the wiring plugs if you haven't already popped those out yet.

2 Wiring Harnesses (One Far Left, One in about the Center) and the Speedo Cable, and the 6 Screws that hold the thing in and it should slide right out...mine was tight on the dash, so some light persuasion and it came right out...

My Speedo cable was also a clipped one, clip busted, had to make a run to the JY/PnP to find another one...

i got it out. well it wasnt a bolt it was more like a washer underneath the truck pretty much just held the cable in place. i swapped my gage cluster from a mj to a xj. everything is working except the gas gage. also there is a short in the dimmer switch when the lights are on. also the right turn single never goes out. thats just when the lights are on. am tring to explain this the best i can. thanks for the help. for got its for a 88 mj.

i got it out. well it wasnt a bolt it was more like a washer underneath the truck pretty much just held the cable in place. i swapped my gage cluster from a mj to a xj. everything is working except the gas gage. also there is a short in the dimmer switch when the lights are on. also the right turn single never goes out. thats just when the lights are on. am tring to explain this the best i can also excuss my spelling and grammar. thanks for the help. forgot its for a 88 mj.

i got it out. well it wasnt a bolt it was more like a washer underneath the truck pretty much just held the cable in place. i swapped my gage cluster from a mj to a xj. everything is working except the gas gage. also there is a short in the dimmer switch when the lights are on. also the right turn single never goes out. thats just when the lights are on. am tring to explain this the best i can. thanks for the help. for got its for a 88 mj.

Did you disconnect the Speedo Cable Nut from the TCase, and then pull the whole cable out with the Console thru the hole in the firewall. It sounds like you are describing the clamp/lock washer thing that mounts on a frame bolt about 1/2 down the cable to between the dash and the T-Case.

I'm not sure about the Guages... I know the big wiring harness on mine would only connect one way, but the smaller one on the left would fit in either way, and only one of em was right (I'm not super techy hear either, but had my dash appart with a cluster swap of my own a week or two ago.)

The turn signal light being on when the lights are on indicates a bad ground in the front lighting wiring harness. This causes the current from the parking light to ground through the turn signal filament and the instrument cluster.

Did you disconnect the Speedo Cable Nut from the TCase, and then pull the whole cable out with the Console thru the hole in the firewall. It sounds like you are describing the clamp/lock washer thing that mounts on a frame bolt about 1/2 down the cable to between the dash and the T-Case.

thats what i was talking about. the speedo is busted it broke where it mounted in to the cluster. before i swapped gages the gas gage did work. after installing the new one turned the key over it just droped way below E.