sensors for new gauge cluster

So the idiot lights and gauges require different sensors correct? I keep reading conflicting posts that some use what is on the motor at the time of the change and some say they change. Will it hurt the gauge cluster to plug it in without changing the sensors?

I switched my 88 over a few months ago. The switches for the idiot lights won't hurt the guages, they just won't work. I had a problem finding the sending units at parts stores around here, but fortunately I was able to use the temp sender out of my 89 and found a usable oil press sender at the JY.

Really though, you'd be best off with new. :cheers:

So the idiot lights and gauges require different sensors correct? I keep reading conflicting posts that some use what is on the motor at the time of the change and some say they change. Will it hurt the gauge cluster to plug it in without changing the sensors?

Didn't hurt mine... I ran my new cluster for a few days before some sensors that I bought from a forum member arrived...Everything else worked oK...

SW2

No, they won't hurt anything...but they're not completely useless. When you're running, your oil pressure and temp gauges will be buried (can't remember if it's zero or max). If the 'light' comes on, the gauge will fly all the way to the other side.