How to "fix" a leaky gas tank

So my fuel tank is leaking. Actually, the tank its self isnt leaking, but the fuel pump port where the fuel flows in and out was. I think one of the steel outlets had cracked, or the brazing had cracked, and gas was leaking out whenever I drove it. I tried the gas tank putty...but it didnt stop the leak: infact, I think it made it worse somehow. Knowing that the Boneyard cut/run was this weekend...I wanted to get it fixed.

Here's where the tank is in the stock location (just infront of the rear shock). You can see that its not in a great spot, and is easily hit. Even though I had a skid plate...I was still worried about its vulnerability.

First I had to drain the fuel from the tank. I did this by running a wire from the + battery terminal over to the ballast resistor...which jumped the pump and drained the tank. There is still ~5 gallons left in the MJ tank after draining these three cans!!

Now I would have just replaced the part thats broken...but to the best of my knowledge, they don't make it anymore!! I have 2 parts MJs, and both of them had parts which were not usable (stupid rust!!). Since I was thwarted here...I turned to my old XJ, and got to thinking...maybe I could "upgrade."

It also had a leak...so I used some tank putty here. I've held the tank upside down, and its holding great!

Then I pulled out the stock MJ tank. Lots of room under there now!!

Out came the grinder. :brows:

Lots of trimming later, and it fits very snug. There is no side to side, or forward to back movement.

And from beneath. I LOVE the ground clearance that I've gained. Its going to be awesome to wheel this now! Too bad that its costing more and more to fill these darn tanks.

I got this at the hardware store today. This foam edging is pretty squishy. I'm not sure if its going to be enough though. We will find out once I get the tank in the bed. I didnt see John's post about those rubber grommet thingys, so I didnt look for them at the hardware store :-\.

Then I sanded/painted the bottom with rustoleum glossy paint (Smoke color). I also extended the lines for ground/pump+/fuel sender ~2 feet.

Here's where the fuel lines/wires will be routed through the bed.

And here's some of the foam edging on the lip of the tank.

I'll finish up tomorrow jamminz.gif .

Thats the same thing I will be doing.

I'm using an XJ skid plate thats plated with 1/8" steel and then putting the tank on top of it.

I will build a cover over the tank. There will be dual remote mounted batterys in front of it and have storage on both sides.

Just a question but the ground clearance you gained from doing this? wouldn't a rock or something else hit your drive shaft before it would have hit the tank even at stock height? or even your leaf springs first?

If you slide over a rock just right it easily hit the stock tank.

Just a question but the ground clearance you gained from doing this? wouldn't a rock or something else hit your drive shaft before it would have hit the tank even at stock height? or even your leaf springs first?

I'd rather have the rocks hit the driveshaft than the gas tank.

on a similar question...will the driveshaft contact with the tank at full squat?

on a similar question...will the driveshaft contact with the tank at full squat?

I'm turning my tank around for more clearance because of the angle. If needed I'll space it up some. The skid is in case the driveshaft get crazy or some else happens.

I think there will be enough clearance. If there isnt...the easiest solution is to add some spacers between the bed and the tank. I'll take a picture of the clearance today.

I'm turning my tank around for more clearance because of the angle. If needed I'll space it up some. The skid is in case the driveshaft get crazy or some else happens.

I tried that, but there wasnt enough room between the wheel well, and the front of the bed. You will also notice that the tank isnt perfectly center in the bed. I store my spare tire on the passanger side between the wheel well and the front of the bed. I didnt want to lose this space, so I moved the tank over to the left. I couldnt go all the way over because then I would be hitting the frame rail. There is about 2" beween the tank and the frame rail when its in the bed.

In the stock position, the tank is smack dab in the middle beween the drive shaft and the leaf spring...there's no protection from sticks/rocks/stumps. Its very easy to put a dent in the tank if you're not careful. :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the long delay. I had some issues with my other tank and had to aquire a new one. NOTE TO ALL: don't drill holes though the pinch seam weld....it will leak.

I've had 2 wheeling trips with this mod, and it works great! I love the fact that I don't have to worry about hitting, or denting the tank on a stump or rock.

Tank from above.

...and from below.

There's about 7" between the tank and drive shaft at the shortest distance between the 2. Here's a referance pic (6" 3/8 extension) taken for you Jeepco ;).

Wiring underneath.

And from above.

Here's a shot from another angle.

....and another.

Image Not Found

haha. thanks for the tip

add a turndown or turnout on that exhaust so any flame that could happen doesn't turn towards the tank. other than that, it's GREAT!

nice angle. your fault or did the rock jump in the way?

I agree about the exhaust. The tank does not get hot at all like it is...but I'd still like to have the exhaust dump behind the tank. I just need to get some extensions and futz with it for a while.

My fault. Tried a stupid line and slid off of a wet rock and fell into a little void. The funny thing is that my mom was in the passanger seat :D .

Thanks Pat!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok Guys here is something everyone needs in the tool box

SEAL_ALL http://www.eclecticproducts.com/sealall.htm

My windrock trip went very well had lots of fun. BUT ( there is always a BUT ) I punched a hole in the gas tank ! I tried a few tricks, a peice of wood. a scew , but nothing worked I had put a small creas in the tank . So Thinking I had to find something I still had my seal_all in the truck for sealing my BOAT rivets. So i took a business card and put some seal-all on it and let it tack up some . Guys eve with my tanl pouring feul THIS WORKED !!!! and is still on there today ! i will post a pic of this . GOOD STUFF

I coated the sender unit cover (circular disk that mounts to the tank) with seal all inside and out after it rusted a pin hole through the flat part of it. So far so good. I bought it at Kmart when I just happened to bump into it. I believe they had it with the camping gear.