This might be a no brainer.....

..... I did a short search but..... when changing from manual to power steering I figure the steering box fitting is a given, what about the pump. Will one from an inline 6 fit the 4, same or different bracket ?

From the Parts List - It's showing different part numbers for the pump, bracket, hoses and pulley, So I would say......NO, wouldn't work.

Your correct......the steering gear (box) is the same.

The 4 has an additional sensor which will increase the idle when you go into the lock end of your turning radius. you will need to address that.

Yeah, that's true. Too bad the I6 does not. The output of the PS sensor on the I4 can be paralleled and used as an Extended Idle dash switch like the police package XJs used to have.

From the Parts List - It's showing different part numbers for the pump, bracket, hoses and pulley, So I would say......NO, wouldn't work.

Your correct......the steering gear (box) is the same.

Well at least I got part of it right :brows:

tjbliley wrote:

The 4 has an additional sensor which will increase the idle when you go into the lock end of your turning radius. you will need to address that.

Another sensor, now why didn't I think of that :nuts: should've figured though :roll:

OH, while I have everyones attention ;) does anyone have a wiring diagram for an 89 MJ with the I4/4speed, Haynes book has the basics (point "A" to "B") but not much to go on, I need one with plug pin numbers etc. THANKS

also, the 2.5 has a remote fluid resivoir, bolted to the front radiator support....the 4.0 has the pump and resivoir all in one unit.

Jeff

SOME 2.5s have a remote reservoir.

I don't remember the years, but I have seen them with the same (visyally, valving may be different) integral reservoir as the 4.0L.