Gas Tank

The gas tanks are made of steel.

I painted a gas tank that was in a bronco that I had.

I hit it with a wire wheel on a grinder (after all the gas was removed and left sit for a day or so for all the gas vapors to dissapate) and sprayed it with rustoleum automobile primer and paint.

Held up very well. Will be doing the same with the one in the manche when I go to fix that damn brake line. :wall:

Thanks for the help. Just the answer I was looking for. jamminz.gif

I was thinking aluminum because the only rust mine has is at the weld and pump ring.

Just finished wiring so with the general concensus. Primer and paint. :thumbsup:

:cheers:

I used regular automotive tremclad primer. Re-rusted after 1 winter :roll:

Buy the good stuff ;)

Mine may have rusted because i didn't put the skid plate back on. Man that thing was a pain. The "magic nuts" that the skid plate bolts go in were spinning so had to drill them out to get it off. My back still hurts. i realy wish those were regular nuts that one could get a wrench not those pressure rivit things.

If you're talking about the plastic cover, my tank looks like swiss cheese because the space between the tank and plastic cover was full of dirt. Every time it got wet it held the water.

Guy I bought the new tank from told me not to put the cover back on.

Man that thing was a pain. The "magic nuts" that the skid plate bolts go in were spinning so had to drill them out to get it off. My back still hurts. i realy wish those were regular nuts that one could get a wrench not those pressure rivit things.

Those "bolts" are zip screws into the bottom of the box supports, and they just spin out, I had to zip wheel them off when I fixed the gas tank, and replaced them with Tex-screws (self drilling / self tapping)

I also used Rustolum Cold Process Galvanizing to "paint" my tank, after a good wire wheeling and it's held up great from 2 years ago.

If you're talking about the plastic cover, my tank looks like swiss cheese because the space between the tank and plastic cover was full of dirt. Every time it got wet it held the water.

Guy I bought the new tank from told me not to put the cover back on.

That sounds like good advice :D

But the skid plate is different from the plastic cover you had on your tank. It mounts below and around the outside of the gas tank, not touching it.

Plus it sounds like you got your tank changed today ;)

Not yet. I'm still messing with the front suspension, so I hope to find time to wire wheel and paint it before I put it in.

I headed out around 8 this morning to spend 45 minutes or so replacing a front axle u-joint. Finally got finished around 9pm.

I need to find that Murphy guy and shoot him. :grrrr:

Tomorrow I'm pressing two new bushings onto a lower control arm to put on probably Tuesday.

I also used Rustolum Cold Process Galvanizing to "paint" my tank, after a good wire wheeling and it's held up great from 2 years ago.

I got that for the tank but at the last minute today change my mind. Do you have any pic's of the tank with it on? And will it go over primer? Seeing how I I've primed it already today.

Yea......if I get time today, I can craw under the truck and get a shot....I'll also check if it can go over primer, should say on the can :dunno:

I like it for the high Zinc content, and less subject to gas wash off.

Thanks for the pic. :cheers:

I read the can and it didn't say anything about going over primer. Pretty limited info and looks just like the directions on all the other rustoleum that I have. :dunno:

Think I'll just go with another color. Fire Engine RED.

j/k :D