"reservoir bottle" cap leaking

I bought a "reservoir bottle" for my closed system maybe 5 months back because my original one was cracked on the bottom and leaking. This came from the dealer. I notice when I drive the truck on a warm day a small amount of coolant comes out from underneath the cap. I thought it might not be on tight enough so I tightened it and instead of stopping it "pops" and starts at the beginning again.

My question is: Is this normal, or are the plastic tank threads or cap faulty?

It should take a lot of tightening to get it to the popping stage, I would guess you have either a faulty cap or the threads on the bottle are screwed up. I would say maybe try a new cap and if that doesn't work I'd go ahead and convert it to the open system.

It should not pop. You either have a bad cap or you have screwed the threads up on the bottle.

If you look inside the bottle, there is a tower that sticks up from the bottom. That is your fill guage. You fill the fluid up to the top of that tower. I couldn't see in mine when I had one so I would add a little then stick my finger in and touch the top of the tower and see if it got wet ;) .

Sounds like time to convert and do away with the bottle to me. :D

It should not pop. You either have a bad cap or you have screwed the threads up on the bottle.

If you look inside the bottle, there is a tower that sticks up from the bottom. That is your fill guage. You fill the fluid up to the top of that tower. I couldn't see in mine when I had one so I would add a little then stick my finger in and touch the top of the tower and see if it got wet ;) .

Sounds like time to convert and do away with the bottle to me. :D

When people are mirroring exactly what I say, you know it's all good information :cheers: .

I thought it might not be on tight enough so I tightened it and instead of stopping it "pops" and starts at the beginning again.

My question is: Is this normal, or are the plastic tank threads or cap faulty?

The bottle you got is defective. The one in my '88 MJ seems to be the factory original and it doesn't leak (yet), nor does it "pop" over the threads when I tighten it.

They are plastic, and over-tightening will cause the threads to skip. But it should not require a gorilla grip to tighten it enough to hold pressure.

I have no idea what the proper amount was. There is no marker on the bottle.

As posted above, half-full (when cold) is correct. It's a pressure bottle/expansion tank. There is NO overflow, so the air volume is to allow for expansion of the coolant. If you topped it off, that's your problem.

NEVER loosen that cap when the system is hot. That cap is your radiator cap. I assume you'd like to keep your hands? Boiling glycol is not kind to human skin.