TPS!!!

I already replaced the IAC. I'm going to run up to chker and pick up a new MAP, MAT, and CTS and see if replacing those fixes it, I'm a little desperate to get it running b/c of a trail run i am going on Sunday.

ok, good luck! I know how frustrating this crap can get. I just decided to start replacing sensors till I solved the problem. Win/Win to me....all these sensors are 18 years old and have 187k on them....they are going to need replacing....plus, I don't want to be up in the woods and have old sensors be the cause of me getting stranded in the middle of no where.

I thought for sure it was going to be replacing your IAC, cause what you describe is EXACTLY what happened to me.....unless in a week from now it starts doing it again, haha.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

let me know how you get in there to the CTS!!!! I think you are going to have to get at it from the bottom, and there just happens to be a big @$$ brace in the way, you can't see it, just feel....and its close quarters too! Not impossible or anything, just a pain in the butt! Keep us updated!

I already replaced the IAC. I'm going to run up to chker and pick up a new MAP, MAT, and CTS and see if replacing those fixes it, I'm a little desperate to get it running b/c of a trail run i am going on Sunday.

Yes, that's great and you'll be happy you replaced those if they're still the stock ones. Your truck will run much better. However, it will not fix your IDLE problem because I don't believe they control it at startup. You probably have a faulty IAC (stepper motor) or the one you put in is not seated properly against the throttle body. If you got it a checker's it's completely possible that the sucker says made in China or Tawain and is poorly made causing you the problem you are describing. I've had the same problem happen to me. So while you go pick up all those sensors pick up another IAC and put it in. Put the old one back in the box, take it back to Checkers, and if it fixed your problem take careful aim and chuck it at the store manager with a big smile on your face all the while calming explaining that Checkers should start buying crap that says MADE IN THE USA. :USAflag:

MAP is replaced!!. while i was under, i found a disconnected vac hose :eek: , i reconnected it and so far everything seems ok, but its kind of hard to tell b/c it only did it one day this week so far.

Tommorow the CTS comes in and ill replace it, but it sound like a bit of a PITA; :headpop:

We'll see if that fixes it!

EDIT:checkers said that there was no MAT in xj or mj.

I get my parts at napa or autozone. When you can get an IAC for $40 from schucks/checkers, and at autozone and napa they are about $75-$85...you know you are getting what you pay for thats for sure. Napa had several different IAC's and none were half off like at my local schucks...haha

James, I'm sorry I was wrong. After reading up on the sensors again I read that the CTS controls engine warm up idle speed. So glad to hear the MAP helped. Any more problems and I guess the CTS would be next.

well, today on the trail it did it once, so problem not found. :headpop:

But the MAP did lower the constant idle quite a bit so no wasted money there. its just hard to diagnose b/c it only does the high idle on startup once a week or so.

Over to carquest tomorrow to pick up the CTS, then comes MAT, if it continues after that I won't know what to do, ill exchange IAC also in case i got a faulty one.

News from el garaje (garage)

come to find that the last owner rounded the head of the CTS and therefore i can not get a wrench around it. :mad:

So I am currently trying to figure out how to get the CTS off. maby more tomorrow, i decided it would be easier to return/replace IAC motor first and see what happens

chico, i feel like a moron, ,i went and checked and the TPS was unplugged! :oops:

ok, so new IAC is in, now its time to wait and see if this fixes it, though i don't think it will b/c i plugged the old IAC back in and it seemed to run like it did with the new motor.

CTS comes tonight, that is if i can get it out.

while waiting for the engine to cool down, i decided to go on over to NAPA and have them look up the Air Charge Sensor, wasnt in their computer either. :hmm:

Looks like if the CTS doesnt work ill be turning to BLHTAZ for the part. :typing:

how was getting to the CTS for ya. seems like a pain to get up in there! My truck is still going strong. Took it turkey hunting this weekend and have started the thing a TON of times. It hasnt acted up once.

Once again, I think the new NAPA IAC did the the trick for me with the spontaneous high idle. That was the last thing I did to the truck before fixing the problem. Otherwise I have replaced the EGR, TPS, IAC, CPS, and O2 sensor....and fixed the backward vaccuum lines going to the egr silenoid on the side of the engine compartment. I also have gone from 12-14 mpg to 17.5 mostly highway but with a lot of woods hours in 4x4!!

Probably will still replace the MAT, MAP, and CTS for good measure..but the truck is running AWESOME!!

The truck does start and go to 2k rpm right on initial start up, but doesnt stay there for more than a 1/4 second, and right down to a steady smooth 750 rpm.