Engine Swap (Crate?) Thoughts?

Now that JeepCoMJ has me all hot and bothered with talk of a Supercharged 3800, and I'm at some point in the not too distant future will be looking at Engines, I thought I would get some engine input...

Let me start by saying this will have to be a fairly LOW level (technically) conversation, or your going to lose me right off. So you need to talk slow and like I'm 3 :oops: ... I've never pulled an engine, tranny, etc, or rebuilt much of anything major in the engine area at all. Although I'm not against doing some, but I know my limits (but do have the offer of help from some knowledgeable guys in my 4x4 club).

SO with that being said, I'm considering possibly a New Crate engine... I know I'm spending a ton of money to pay someone else to do work that I could and should be doing myself, but I'm OK with that... and I'm looking for something that is more or less "new" that I don't have to rebuild before I even install, or put something in that is more or less 'used' and have to worry about another swap or rebuild down the road. I like the idea of crate engines because at least in my limited knowledge set it seems that I would have to do the "least" amount of work to get the thing installed and running once I pulled my old Engine out, correct?

I also want something nearly 'bolt-in" that I don't really have to change much (structurally) to get it in. While I envy JeepCoMJ and what he's doing with his 3800, it's not something that I see myself ever being able to handle. (Time, Space, tools, Patience, etc, etc.).

So that limits my choices somewhat...yes?

Hesco or Titan Stroker maybe? I know I could go cheaper, or used, or whatever, but I have a fairly straight and more or less rust free MJ, so I'm not against spending the extra $$$ to get a stroker vs. something more stock. I only want to have to do 1 swap/rebuild... I'm looking for something "permanent" or at least LONG TERM.

I'm probably a little ways down the road before doing something (unless my 4.0L now takes dump sooner rather than later)

Discuss....What do I need to know, am I thinking way off base on the entire subject, should I not consider the Stroker if (at least in theory) $$$ is not a major issue, are there other easy bolt-in, like new, crate options that would be comparable that I should also be considering?

SW2 :popcorn:

OK.....I'll type real slow here -

I assume your talking about this - 89 MJ Pioneer - 4x4, 4.0L, SWB, 5 Spd

A crate engine is a good option, BUT - is your truck worth $6000??

Buy the time you get the crate engine, about $1600 and all the new accessories, your going to be up about $2000. If your truck is worth that much, then yes, it's a good investment.

If your truck is not worth that much, then a good used, low mileage engine is the way to go, plus, it's easier to swap a used engine in, IE: you don't need to mess with the distributor.

Also, for less "work" if you get a 4.0, first generation ('87-'90) there is no addition work needed, if you opp for the 2nd generation ('91-'96) HO (high output) then all the wiring harness need to be changed out, both engine and dash. Plus additional item, IE: ECM.

Do you go with a stroker......others can answer that.

Do you go with a "Supercharged 3800" NO, that's not what you want, you'll need everything changed to make that work, electrical and transmission. That that out of the equation. That's only an opp if you have the 2.8 engine now.

One thing you would want to address, if your going to replace the engine, do the additional work, like replace the 20 year old radiator, replace all the 20 year old hoses and go thru the entire truck, and replace the input output seals on the transmission and transfer case. In other words, rebuild - replace everything at one time. Install a new clutch unit.

If you have "friends" help you, fine, but don't expect them to show up on time every time. You will be doing most of the work your self. You could find a "shop" that would swap out the engine for you, and if you don't have the tools and equipment to do this your self, that might be a better option for you. If you have plenty of time, and want to invest in the tools and equipment, and take your time to do this, that is a good option, you will learn, you'll make mistakes, and you'll get greasy and dirty and stand back and say "I did it myself" :D

The first engine I swapped out (20 years ago) in a Ford van, I paid someone to help me, and I learned, after that, I did others by my self, and I invested in the tools and equipment to do this. Now, I have the tools to do any engine swap, just not the time. As my Jeep projects pile up and the engines sitting in the shop. :cry:

I hope I typed slow enough for you here ;)

Thanks for the great reply... I understood "almost" everything :D

... and your right, spending $6K on a truck that isn't probably worth $6K seems maybe off base...BUT I do happen to have another Jeep that IS worth quite a bit more than which might have a "donor"... While moving away from my initial notion of "easy", "simple" and "bolt-in", I was wondering about the possibilities of taking the 4.0L out of my 99 TJ (with only 38K miles) putting it into my MJ and then thinking about a stroker setup for the TJ. I'm sure there are significant challenges with that build too, but I would have a nearly new, well cared for 4.0 in the MJ and be able to get a stronger running stroker engine in my TJ (which has been a complaint of mine since the Lift/Regear/Tire size bump).

One bad thing is I would be without both vehicles for some period of time... and I agree with your notion that it might be best for me to just pay someone to do the work. Having 3 Year old twins which I care for basically every evening after work and full time every other weekend leaves very little time for wrenching projects. It took almost two weeks for me to do ball joints because I could only dedicate a few minutes at a time (or had to work when they were in bed, which happens to be right above the garage). None of that bodes well for me thinking about doing my own engine swap and getting it done in any expeditious fashion.

You have an 89 with a 5 speed.

Two different tranmissions were used behind the 4.0 that year.

The BA 10/5 will not put up with a stroker.

The AX-15 will.

You should probably figure out which one you have before you think about dropping a stroker in there.

You have an 89 with a 5 speed.

Two different tranmissions were used behind the 4.0 that year.

The BA 10/5 will not put up with a stroker.

The AX-15 will.

You should probably figure out which one you have before you think about dropping a stroker in there.

I have the AX-15 (99% sure)

This posting has been deleted by its author.

(The title on the listings page will be removed in just a few minutes.)

DOH... it was there and looked Legit... basically sounded like a dude that was planing on dropping it into a CJ and ran out of $$$ to complete it. I have no idea of the going rate of those and from some of the LS1 builds I've seen on other Forums, there is quite a bit of fab work to get it to fit and work.

If you want to put a stroker in your Tj, order one from Golen/Titan, pay a shop to swap it. While keeping your MJ on the road. Once the TJ is back road worthy, swap the Long block back into the MJ. The reason why I say the long is the intake/Throttle body is different from the older renix style.

AS far as wether or not your are capable of doing it yourself.. if you can read a tech/fsm manual, and have a decent selection of tools, and patients.. I am sure you can. Tech manuals go step by step.

IF it was me doing it...I would go down to the junkyard, and have them pull an early 90's tbi 350, with the wiring harness and comp, as well as the transmision. Then pay a shop to put that in your tj, then swap all of the Tj's stuff into your mj