Loose, sloppy steering

My steering is just real sloppy and it seems to have gotten alot worse since I bought it a year ago. I'm getting ready to buy all new steering componets (tie rods, drag link, etc.) and I want to make sure this is the problem before I buy all the stuff. I don't have death at all at any speed so I don't think its the track bar (it has a 3" lift with a stock track bar, but I'm getting ready to drill a new hole in the axle mount because I can't afford an adjustable one). It acts like its the tie rods because it will catch ruts in the road and follow it. There isnt any play in the steering wheel when its not moving, but it feels like there is when its moving. When I hit a bump in the road it feels like the wheels will wobble for a second, but then correct itself. I did just put new tires on it and for some reason I can't get the wheels to line up to adjust the toe in because I think the tie rods are not put on the tube correctly. So should I install all new steering componets and get it aligned or do I need to look other places (steering box, etc)?

yes they are stock control arms and i havent tightened the box yet. Also the tie rods, both ends of the drag link, and upper ball joints are covered in grease and the tie rods twist if you twist the tie rod bar. Does this mean they are bad or is it ok that the grease is comming out of the dust covers?

With stock arms and 3" of lift your steering will wander around because there isn't enough caster to make th tires "return to center". Longer lower arms will give you back the caster and reduce the wander.

With stock arms and 3" of lift your steering will wander around because there isn't enough caster to make th tires "return to center". Longer lower arms will give you back the caster and reduce the wander.

True, a 3" lift will cause the front wheels to set back in the wheel well, and affect the caster. But with only a 3" lift this can usually be corrected by inserting caster shims between the lower control arms and the frame to move the wheels back forward. The dealer sells 4.0mm thick shims very cheap or you can make your own (see http://gojeep.willyshotrod.com/HowtoAlignment.htm). When I installed new WJ lower control arms I also inserted two new 4mm shims on each side and it brought the caster back to the factory recommended 7*. Changing caster will affect the front pinion angle also, so it's usually a compromise between the two adjustments.