Shifter extension removal BA10

Yeah! I need to know how to remove it anyone here got junk one that can try? I got the older model shifter boot and I think I can incorporate the 2 to make one good one but I need to know how to remove that damn shifter! I can stretch it pass the circlip but that's how far I can go.

I got too big wrenches one underneath seem like there's a nut there and the other on the shifter but that damn thing won't come off.

What are you trying to do? According to the FSM there is a special puller needed to do that. I asked my friends at the dealership if I could borrow theirs, and they said they tossed it years ago because all it did was break the shifter and then the shop had to buy a complete new assembly.

Unless yours is already broken, I respectfully suggest that you not mess with it.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Here's a pic, I also tried tapping in 4 screwdrivers to push in the clips and then tap it up but still couldn't move it. I wanted to remove the shifter extension for shipping but I guess I'll box it up like it is.

Well if you would have read my post then you'll understand what I was trying to do :roll:

No, I do not understand what you're trying to do. You want to take apart something that isn't really meant to take apart. What's the reason, and why can't you use a replacement shifter out of a junkyard if yours is broken?

I can't help you with solid advice if you're going to be a smart-@$$.

I got the older model shifter boot and I think I can incorporate the 2 to make one good one but I need to know how to remove that damn shifter! I can stretch it pass the circlip but that's how far I can go.

Not trying to be a smart @$$, but I thought this a good explanation.

When I bought my MJ 2 years ago it was 2wd. I did the 4wd convo ASAP and when I did it I got a YJ AX-15 instead of one from another XJ/MJ. The YJ shifter arm is much longer and straighter than the MJ/XJ one. I had one of these shorter and angled MJ levers on my 2wd BA-10 that I had in the truck. So I looked into it and I decided I would see if I could change them out.

So thats the story on why I did what I am about to explain.

I know that there are tools for everything but when you are working on something that you know you can't make any worse (That YJ shifter made the truck feel like a semi with how high it was) you tend to get creative. So I took the sucker off of the tranmission and put it in the vice. From what I remember it took alot of banging and alot of prying on both of them but I was able to get them swapped around and not damage anything vital in the process. If I remember right, there is some sort of rubber chunk in there or something that helps hold it on. I can't remember the process too well, wish I could help, sorry. Maybe I smushed it with the vice a bit and that did something... You can see how it is kinda ?pressed on? there with the two flat sides in the second pic you have put up.

All I know is that I was able to do it... :roll: :???:

if it's just for the sake of shipping it, unbolt the entire shift housing from the trans body. There shoud be a retaining ring with 3 bolts in it under that rubber boot at the base of the shifter (part #19). Pull the bolts out and remove the entire shifter....

Jeff

Image Not Found

Sorry for all the confusion, this boot goes all the way below the extension past the circlip I thought removing the shifter was no biggie but if a special puller is needed then I will just cut a slit to slide over it and tie a tywrap at the end and then I will apply some silicone to make a good seal.

Most everybody boot is probably gone like this I just wanted to get it corrected before I finished with the vinyl flooring.

I order an older model boot and will incorporate the 2 to make one.

This crazy idea didn't work. lol

But this did work good enough, I manage to stretch two of the holes and made 2 new ones. You can see the cut folded over and 2 mounting holes I need to seal up.