Transmission Mounts

Can Anyone explain to me how I would check the serviceability of my Transmission mount... what would I look for if it was shot? What would I hear if the truck was running? What kinda tests can I do?

how expensive are replacements? And is the tranny only supported at that one crossmember? or is there another spot I should be checking?

Cause earlier in the day I was thinking about the rattling sound I was hearing from the trans tunnel area, but didn't know what it was at all.. so I went underneth the truck while it was running and watched and listened the sound is diffently comming from somewhere around the tranny, and sometimes LOOKs like the tranny is bouncing up and hitting the top of the tunnel. When it seems to be bouncing around it sounds like the engine is being loaded at idle ONLY. these sounds from both the tranny and the engine. kinda diminish as the rpms are increased.

Any experience with this issue would be great thank for the help!

The transmission is only supported at the one location, the rubber / steel mount at the cross member.

To check the condition of the mount, take a long heavy duty pry bar and pry between the cross member and the transmission, you will see if the rubber is torn and not keeping the transmission in place, or letting it twist from the torque. I have seen several where the rubber is torn and letting the transmission 'twist'

Depending on the transmission you have, there are 2 different mounts, one is for the AW4 and the AX15, the other, more expensive one is for the BA10. They are not interchangeable. Most online parts places have mount for the AW4, the only source I've seen for the BA10 mount is here -

http://www.teamcherokee.com/Transmission/index.html

You can tell which one you have from the "slot" on the right rear for a bracket to support the cat on the exhaust. That's the BA10 mount, and the more expensive one.

Other sources would be a JY or some one that has a 'good' one laying around.

It might 'look' good, but use the pry bar and see if it moves, also you might want to check your motor mounts. Basely, the whole drive train is only mounted in 3 places, the two motor mounts, and the transmission mount.

The pry bar will also show it the bolts are loose, missing, or sheared off.

And if your running the AW4, then the mount you need is only about $16.

The job replacing the mount??

On the scale of 1-10, about a 2.

A socket set, a floor jack, or any jack and a block of wood under the AW4, to take the weight off the mount, and un-bolt away.

And if you need to do the motor mounts -

http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopi ... otor+mount

Pete - I read this -

LOOKs like the tranny is bouncing up and hitting the top of the tunnel.

That's why I'm thinking transmission mount.....or motor mounts.

And if you can get a Haynes manual, it's all explained in there how to check and replace the tran's mount.

I have the 1990 FSM but wasn't able to find the tranny mount info yet again I wasn't really looking that hard either. plus there is alot of pages from the transmission Chapter that are missing :( probely on one of those pages?

It's in the Engine Service Procedures section, under Engine Rear Mount.

The job replacing the mount??

On the scale of 1-10, about a 2.

A socket set, a floor jack, or any jack and a block of wood under the AW4, to take the weight off the mount, and un-bolt away.

I'd rate it about a 1 Bob. :D 20 minutes max. While I replaced mine I pulled out the cross member and cleaned out the 3" of crud packed in there, so it took about 30 minutes. :cheers:

Well I'm looking at tackling this job On Saturday, I'm more or less worried about not being able to get the crossmember bolts out without snappin any off. Does The crossmember really need to be taken off to do this job? or could I manage to slide it in without it removing it?

You can leave the cross member on, there's enough room to jack up the tranny into the tunnel to clear the lower bolts on the mount. It just gives you more room to work, to get the tranny bolts out.

Just keep an eye on the fan blades hitting the radiator, should not be a problem, but before you jack it all the way up, check it.

And make sure you put a block of wood between the jack and the tranny.

well I removed the mount and replaced it but while tighting the final mount to cross member bolt the stud snapped off, there must have been a hairline crack or something cause I had only turned the nut a quarter turn and it snapped off, the install was easy as hell, but am far too lazy to remove it to return it.

Think I can get away with only the 3 studs holding it in?

Yea, I think the 3 bolts will hold up, hopefully it was on the right (passenger) side, where the torque push down, and not pulls up. Run it and see what it feels like, and then b*@$£ to the parts place......and if need, replace it.

Yea, I think the 3 bolts will hold up, hopefully it was on the right (passenger) side, where the torque push down, and not pulls up. Run it and see what it feels like, and then @#$% to the parts place......and if need, replace it.

Replace it, UB an expert now. :D I would not want a missing bolt on the tranny mount. Get your $$ back for the POS aftermarket mount you must have put on and get one from the dealer, or check out Ebay. I got a NOS Mopar mount for $18 including shipping.

Yea, I think the 3 bolts will hold up, hopefully it was on the right (passenger) side, where the torque push down, and not pulls up. Run it and see what it feels like, and then @#$% to the parts place......and if need, replace it.

about that.. t was the most forward on the drivers side :(